1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! The 2018 Tortoise Forum Calendar is here! Click here to pre-order! Proceeds go directly to keeping TFO online and FREE for all to use! Thank you for your support!

Advice please - eyes & feeding!

Discussion in 'Tortoise Health' started by JohnnyBoyTaylor, Feb 14, 2017.

1. JohnnyBoyTaylor

JohnnyBoyTaylor New Member

A little advice on a couple things please. I have 3 young horsefields, about a year old, only been with me for one week and......

1. Is it normal for them to quite often move around with eyes shut? No visible signs of eye infections, they are nice, clear and shiny when open!

2. The smallest one hasn't been seen eating yet. Is there anything you can suggest to make sure he eats or put my mind at rest at least?

Cheers in advance for any feedback :)
  2. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 5 Year Member Platinum Supporter

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    No, that is not normal. A healthy tortoise should open his eyes almost immediately when you wake him up. What kind of light do you have over them? Some of the compact fluorescent bulbs are harmful to tortoise's eyes.

the smaller tortoise might be being picked on by the larger tortoises. It would be a good idea to set him up by himself.