advice please (hibernation/brumation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamangiea

5 Year Member
Help !!!

Hi we have just got a tortoise from my poorly Father-In-law, he has had him/her for 40+ years. From what i can tell he has been feeding him lettuce and tomatoes and the dandelions from the garden.

He apparently never put water down for him as he thought the washed lettuce leaves was enough water for him. Anyway my FIL has been taken into hospital and my SIL said she would take him to her house. We only found out on Saturday that she never took him, so we went round there to feed him. The poor thing was upside down (my hubby thought he was dead) after a quick google search we put him into a few cm of water, he didn't feed for a while and after 20mins he had a little bit.

We brought him home with us. We love animals have a few pets and want the best for them, my concern is i only have a very small all concrete back yard. Would that be ok for him ?

I have had a quick search and discovered they need supplements (which we have now purchased) and what food he should be having.

He is eating very well and my hubby was amazed to see him drink water from a saucer!!

My FIL left him out at night while its warm here at the moment but we have been bringing him in and putting him in a large box containing straw, as soon as he is in it he burys himself.

How many time a day should i be feeding him ?

The garden is very secure but is a small concrete garden ok for him its about 15ft x 13ft ?

We would like to keep him but ultimately want whats best for him?her.

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0330.jpg
    IMG_0330.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 45

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: Help !!!

Hi Angie:

It's not easy on a tortoise that has been living in the same place for 40+ years to suddenly be moved to a new place. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that he has stopped eating and is "sulking."

Try to find some packaged lettuces...something like rocket salad, and dark, leafy greens, and cut back on the iceburg lettuce and tomatoes.

Good luck with your new tortoise. I hope he does well for you. If there is plenty of shade in your little yard, he should be ok, but bear in mind that a small concrete yard might get a bit hot with the sun shining on it.

iamangiea

5 Year Member
Hi we were given a 50+year old tortoise a few months ago, he has been living with my FIL who due to poor health is unable to look after him anymore, so ended up with us. I knew absolutely nothing about looking after a tortoise so done alot of internet trawling.

From what i have found my FIL has been looking after him from advice from the 1970 when he got him. He fed him just tomatoes and lettuce and when the time come for hibernation he was put in a cardboard box covered in paper and left under the dining room table.

I have read up on hibernation, brought a secure lidded container which we have put air holes in and have put in coco fibre in. He has been in the house for the past month day and night with a headlamp and available food and water.

my question what do i do now ?
His "house" is in the kitchen he comes out about 10am sits under the lamp for a few hours has some food, then about 2pm goes back to his home till the next morning.

Do i start reducing his food or still give him the same amount ? reduce the hours the lamp is on?

any advice would help thanks in advance

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
where are you located? a tortoise should be given at least a couple hours of sunlight a day, especially an adult. you will be advised by other members to keep him from going into brumation until next winter so youre sure hes healthy. im not doing it but thats only because my girl is very healthy. however, yours hasnt been given the proper diet and im going to go with the rest of the members here and say not to brumate your tort.

reticguy76

5 Year Member
What kind of tortoise is it? At that age/size, the tort should be outside permanently. I never had an issue brumating my baby dt back when I first got him. This tort, however, with his history, and if in fact it is a tort that naturally brumates, should probably hangout this winter and not brumate. Its amazing that torts with such specific requirements can live so long with improper food and conditions. But they are tough tough animals and usually can adapt just enough to survive in just about any situation long or short term

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Angie:

Unless your tortoise is outside where he can feel the shorter/cooler days, he probably won't realize it's time to hibernate. If you are keeping him in the house, just continue to feed him. If he stops eating on his own, then he feels it is time to start cleaning out his system.

But, in my opinion, you need to see about setting this tortoise up outside. Living in the house all the time isn't good for a wild animal such as a tortoise. They need the UVB/vitamin d3 from the sun to make their calcium work in their bodies, for strong bones and shell.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
What species of tort ? Why not ask the prior care giver what their practice is for preparation for brumation?

I personally would not allow a tort species that brumates do so in the first year of location and caregiver change....no matter what a person thinks they know---a tort does not show stress readily and allowing a new tort to brumate is asking for trouble---you can not possibly know what the mental stat is of a newly moved or acquired tort...stress is a silent killer...

I would set this tort up to remain active all winter--this will allow the tort to settle in--it will allow you and the tort to get to know one another and to develop and fall into the new routine...

Now, some folks will decide that they know better and will brumate a tort the first year becasue the tort "looks" good or "looks" healthy---when there is just no way to verify this....

I would try to replicate the care offered to this tort as it has been tried/proven to be effective....I would perhaps allow some grazing to occur as an addition to the mix :D

Status
Not open for further replies.