Advice Please (how does he look?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
IMG_20130421_191736.jpg

Here's Spunky soaking in his bath water. He is 20 months old. He weighs 408.6 grams is this normal for his age? And also please tell me if his shell looks ok. I'm still not sure if he's actually a he. Lol He gets lots of dandilions and cactus pads and kale organic spring mix and what weeds I can gather. And fresh green beans. I also give him calcium sprinkled on his food twice a week. I've recently bought some Mazuri for him and every since he's tried the mazuri, he holds out for it all day. He also gets fresh squash a couple of variaties. He's always eaten his greens well untill now. I give him 4 pieces of mazuri in the morning and four at night. Any suggestions. Also his ambient inside enclosure is 87degrees. 102 to 105 under basking light and about 79 to 80. I keep his humidity at 80 to 85%. Please let me know if I'm off on anything. Thanks

IMG_20130421_191749.jpg

IMG_20130421_192101.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
RE: Advice Please

He looks great and his weight is fine. I would change nothing. All your parameters sound fine.

On the Mazuri, I'd only feed it once or twice a week. Make him eat the greens ad weeds the rest of the time. Ever give him grass? Time to start, if not. Find a chemical free source and chop it up super fine over his other greens. Start with a little at first and gradually add more.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Re: Advice Please

Thank you so much. This is my first tortoise and I'm really trying. Do you have any idea where I may be able to buy the seed maybe a garden center or grass seed from Walmart? I bought a bag and of bermuda grass seed but after reading it, I decided to return it. I've used wild bird seed to come up in his outside enclosure. But he's not been in his new pen yet. He has three lol in different areas. Any help is appreciated.

His enclosures are on a cement slab. We used organic topsoil with peat moss . About 12 bags of it. Then we added 3 bags of organic cypress mulch. He has four hides. The pens 3 and a half foot wide by about 15 ft long. These are measurements for his latest one we've built. How long would he be able to stay in this new pen?

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Can anyone please tell me where I can get the grass seed at? Chemical free grass seeds that is. Do I need to order it offline?

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal

carolinaboy165

5 Year Member
There used to be a Carolina Pet Supply store here in Greenville, SC. Awesome store. I think the closest one now is in Columbia. With that seed mix, could I use like a big tub to grow it in if I just got a pound or half a pound? Or do you suggest just letting it grow in the yard?

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Carolina Boy said:
There used to be a Carolina Pet Supply store here in Greenville, SC. Awesome store. I think the closest one now is in Columbia. With that seed mix, could I use like a big tub to grow it in if I just got a pound or half a pound? Or do you suggest just letting it grow in the yard?

Either way would work fine. A 1/2 pound is ALOT of seeds.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Yes will definitely order some for him. Do you recommend a certain mix of seeds or what? Thanks alot. :)

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
sissyofone said:
Yes will definitely order some for him. Do you recommend a certain mix of seeds or what? Thanks alot. :)

The grazing tortoise mix is a good blend for sulcatas.

Status
Not open for further replies.