Advise on indoor hatchling setup

Plato Zorba

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
I'm looking for recommendations for an indoor setup for hatchlings....and I'm between a 40 gallon glass tank with a floating basking platform and a turtle tub. Just curious if anyone had any positive or negative thoughts on the built in ramp of the tub or anything else about it . I'd like to start a few spotted and eastern painted hatchlings for a year or two indoors before moving them out into the pond. I like the thought of being able to raise a tank up and view the activity inside through the glass but the turtle tub seems so much more practical. Anyone with experience feel strongly either way?

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
So I have not used the tub, but the reason for that is I feel like with the glass I can visually monitor water quality and spot poop, which I siphon out regularly. All the tubs I have seen are black, I feel like it would be much more difficult to see algae growth, poo, etc.

If you want more land area you can buy or diy an above tank basking area that is pretty sizeable, which if you have multiple turtles is a good idea

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I agree with Krissy Leigh: it would be much easier to monitor the little ones in a tank.

Plato Zorba

New Jersey
Much appreciated ladies. Two quick questions...any reason to think that aquatic turtles need a visual barrier?.....I've seen videos where they seem to be constantly bumping into the walls of the glass aquarium. And, does anyone have any issue with mixing hatchlings of mixed species, i.e. spotted and musk or painted? I'm only planning on keeping them indoors for a year or two and I believe they are all comparable in size.

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
I have had lots of turtles and none seem to have issue with glass walls - which now that I think about it is odd because other reptiles, including some of my pets, have been bothered by the glass and I have had to put up a visual barrier. Huh. My turtles seem to actually like it because they can see me, so they come up to the glass and beg whenever I walk by. I think turtles are more instinctual, less intelligent, and more food driven than other reptile groups (personal opinion), so that may be why - as long as they're fed and housed properly don't seem to be bothered by anything.

I have cohabitated small turtles of the same size and never had an issue. The only time I had a problem was cohabbing 2 adult turtles of different species but were also the same size. The only reptile pet i have had die on me was one of those turtles. Though I cannot conclusively say it was because of cohabbing, in retrospect I think it at the very least contributed and potentially caused Herman's demise. But you should be fine with hatchings, just keep an eye on every one and if someone is acting out of sorts make sure to separate and keep an eye on them.

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
Though I just noticed you said musk and painted - I wouldn't mix species that have different habitat requirements. Painteds are super aquatic and like to swim, are strong swimmers - I have had them and they are compaable to red ear sliders in lifestyle. While I have not owned musk turtles, they and mud turtles are naturally found in shallower, slower water and I believe are not as strong of swimmers. So the ideal habitat would be different for the 2 species.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
I have abandoned tanks. Tubs create a more natural setting. My turtles are so much calmer. Honestly ponds look so much better than tanks.

Attachments

• SMPond2.jpg
    SMPond2.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 19

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I have abandoned tanks. Tubs create a more natural setting. My turtles are so much calmer. Honestly ponds look so much better than tanks.

That looks COOL!!!! [emoji2][emoji2][emoji2]