Advise on sulcata hatchling enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nm767

5 Year Member
I'm looking into getting a sulcata hatchling and have been trying to decide on a good enclosure to start it out in. My goal is to move it outside into a yard built enclosure when I can and as a hatchling take it out for sun when possible, but it'll be inside while it's young.

The local reptile store/museum (serpentarrium) has their hatchlings in a large low exo terra enclosure. They say a hatchling should be good for "a couple years" in the enclosure. I was curious how long it would be ok in there. I figured maybe a year. Measurements I believe are 36x18x18.

Have always wanted a sulcata but originally decided on a leopard as I didn't think my fiancé would like the size of a sulcata. Took her today to show her some large sulcatas and leopards and she actually would rather have the sulcata. Green light woohoo

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Read the threads at the bottom of this post. All are really good info for raising a healthy, happy, smooth sulcata.
Size of enclosure, bigger the better and easier. Plastic totes or aquariums work really good. You can also build a tort table. I personally have never used a table, but I don't think they are as easy to keep heat and humidity in as the others. Unless of course you build the sides higher then most do. Do as much reading here before hand and do dry runs with heat, etc and it will go very smoothly. Good luck and don't forget pics when you get it. Buy the way, leopards are fantastic. Just had to throw that in:D

Nm767

5 Year Member
I've been reading for several months here and there. She likes the exo terra because they are attractive looking, and she would like it in the living room. I know a sulcata will quickly outgrow that but my question is how long will it take for it to outgrow it? Those tanks are pricey

Status
Not open for further replies.