Afghanistan Tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amy1113

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and relatively new to owning a tort. We have had Myrtle, an afghanistan tort, since December. She is 2 yrs old. She had been kept in a pretty small tank before we got her, but now she is in a large 3ftx5ft tub when we are not home and is free to roam in the yard when we are there. She is only about 4-5 inches and I was told she wouldn't grow any bigger. When we got her, she showed signs of hibernating, so we set the tub up for that. Within the last couple weeks to a month she is much more active and comes out of her log as soon as she hears us up in the morning. She extends her neck out until we feed her and she is very content. I have a few questions for anyone that can help. With her being an Afghanistan tort, will she be getting much bigger? Also, I have been feeding her Spring Mix and other mixes I have found at the store. What else should I be giving her? I want her to be around for a very long time and want to make sure I am giving her everything she needs.

Thank you!!!
~Amy

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
A great site for care of an afghanistan tort which is also called a russian tortoise is http://www.russiantortoise.org/index.htm
If it is a female then she will get bigger, up to around 10", If you post pics of her plastron (underside) & tail area we could tell you if she is for sure a female.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi Amy,
Most of the female Russians in the US average 5.5 to 8 inches depending on subspecies. I haven't seen any of the subspecies that gets up to 10 inches since the early 70's in the US.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.