Afraid of Salmonella

Love_Alexa1

Hi, I'm 14 and today my mom and I cleaned the enclosure of my russian tortoise, Soysauce. I wore gloves (my mom didn't) and a mask for part of the cleaning. I washed my hands raw after cleaning with soap and warm water, then used an antibacterial hand gell twice. I am emetophobic (fear of vomiting) which causes me to be germaphobic and I am worried that I might get salmonella. Please someone reassure me. I'm really scared that i'll catch it. :(
P.S. Is salmonella airborne? The internet has so many horror stories of salmonella. Is there anything else that I can do to prevent it?
I love my little Soysauce and this is the only thing I worry about when i'm caring for him. Due to this stupid fear I've not been able to care for him as best I can. I sometime even have to ask my mom to feed him/change his water because i'm afraid of touching his food/water bowl. Please someone give me some advice, I want to spoil him rotten but I'm too afraid to touch anything in his enclosure. Please help.

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Netherlands
Don't be too afraid!
Salmonella will be present in your torts poo. You could get infected if you ingest this, either directly or indirectly. So make sure to wash your hands and don't let his poo, bathwater etc get in contact with materials you use for cooking (including your sink). Salmonella is not airborn, and by working hygienically you can prevent infection.
Besides that, the chance to become sick from Salmonella when you're healthy is very small. It is especially dangerous for young children, elderly people and pregnant women.
So no need to be overly worried!

M

Maggie Cummings

Somebody really got you going huh!
My family (Y) has over 100 chelonia. Had torts for about 35 or more years, and NEITHER one of us has ever gotten salmonella. One reason is we don't kiss the damn things. The floor in my tort room is plain old plywood. There's a pile of hay in one corner. I just use any old broom. Healthy Sulcata poop sweeps right out....

Well, it's NASCAR time for me....try and miss me this time.......:(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's a scary fact for you - salmonella can be found in the intestines of HEALTHY birds and animals (even humans). Not to worry. All you have to do is wash your hands after handling the tortoise or his enclosure. It isn't airborne. And it isn't necessary to scrub your hands as hard or as thoroughly as you did.

I don't recommend this, but sometimes I may even pick up one of the more firm poops with my hand and toss it. The thing is, just keep your hands away from your face until you get a chance to wash them.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/disease.13684/?highlight=salmonella

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
it's terrible being a germaphobe and people tell you not to worry I
When they don't understand your fear. I am a germaphobe as well and it's very scary sonetimes but let me tell you your precautions of gloves and hand washing should be more than adequate. In over 30 years of keeping Turtles and tortoises I have never been sick salmonella and I very rarely get the flu or cold, probably because I wash my hands many times a day. Take it from a germaphobe your precautions should be more than adequate clean the water bowl use gloves if you want to.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I've seen a study where 16% of all chicken bought from the grocery store harbors salmonella , free range birds were found to be the most affected ........... 63% harbored campylobacter , 8% had both , and practically 100% harbored e-coli .......

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Another reptile keeper for 20 years with no one in my home ever infected. And I'm not even overly cautious! You can get salmonella from the eggs and chicken prepared in your kitchen just as easily, so I think the whole reptile/salmonella thing has gotten too much hype.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Telling the poster how else they can get salmonella is not helping.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I've eaten chicken all my life , I've never gotten salmonella ......... from what I've seen you have a better chance of getting salmonella from cooking dinner than you do from your turtle , not many folks getting salmonella cooking dinner , and very few are cautious about it .......... from my view , that should put a perspective on it , at least that's how I seen it ............

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I understand and agree. But the point is there is no greater chance of it with the tort than there is with other things.

I didn't say you can easily get it from both. I was saying chances are slim with both.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Phobias are very real and can be very powerful, controlling various aspects of life. Im 48 and have kept reptiles for the majority of my life. My ten year old daughter and I handle them with our bare hands daily and never have had any trouble. We just gently wash our hands afterwards. Breathing exercises can help with the anxiety caused by a phobia and focused meditation can help direct thoughts in a more positive direction.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Phobias are very real and can be very powerful, controlling various aspects of life. Im 48 and have kept reptiles for the majority of my life. My ten year old daughter and I handle them with our bare hands daily and never have had any trouble. We just gently wash our hands afterwards. Breathing exercises can help with the anxiety caused by a phobia and focused meditation can help direct thoughts in a more positive direction.
I'm 48 as well and have many phobias....germs are not one of them however. My sister is always trying to get me to do meditation. May be something the OP can consider!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
We have had our tort for getting on for 47 years.

I have never worn gloves or a face mask.

I wash my hands thoroughly before and after handling Joe with normal soap and water. Nothing else.

I can reassure you that the risk is low and that my handwashing routine is sufficient.

I suspect your fear of infection and contamination runs much deeper than just handling your tort.

Wear gloves if it makes you relax, but they're not necessary. A face mask is definitely unnecessary

Love_Alexa1

Thank you so much everyone. :) I'm having therapy twice a week for my anxiety and it's getting a lot better luckily (still have my up and down days but feeling better). My pets are one of the things that REALLY help me through my anxiety. Sometimes I think animals make the best therapists - even my grumpy little Soysauce. :p Thank you for all the reassurance. :)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Thank you so much everyone. :) I'm having therapy twice a week for my anxiety and it's getting a lot better luckily (still have my up and down days but feeling better). My pets are one of the things that REALLY help me through my anxiety. Sometimes I think animals make the best therapists - even my grumpy little Soysauce. :p Thank you for all the reassurance. :)
While I have some anxiety, my main diagnosis is chronic major depression. Some days working on my turtle/tort enclosures and caring for them is the only thing that gets me through that day. Animals are great therapy.

M

Maggie Cummings

While I have some anxiety, my main diagnosis is chronic major depression. Some days working on my turtle/tort enclosures and caring for them is the only thing that gets me through that day. Animals are great therapy.

Oh boy lisa.....I SO know how you feel. I think if I didn't have the animals, some days I'd just stay in bed. It's super hard trying to be ok about Bob. But it's not ok and I have never in my life ever felt such strong uncontrollable emotions. Bob was suppossed to live with me for a bunch more years. I got jipped.