Afraid to go down ramp

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinaBree

5 Year Member
Hi,
I've got a greek tortoise, Countess, and she's afraid to go down her ramp. When we first got her she wasn't very active and never used her ramp to get to the second floor of her table. Now that she's been romping around more often, she has discovered her ramp and can't resist going up it. Sometimes we find her up there three or four times a day. The only problem is once she's up there she's too afraid to go back down. If you put her on the ramp she backs up or tries to turn around. I've successfully led her down a few times with treats but she won't do it on her own and them moment you stop offering her treats she freaks out. Sometimes she tries to climb over the wall on the second floor, which scares me, but I don't think she'd ever be able to fully climb over it and fall (she can just prop herself on to it). Why is she so afraid of going down when she clearly has no problem at all going up the ramp? Any tips for getting her used to going down? Does anyone else have a tortoise who's afraid of ramps? Should I just take the second floor out? Thanks for your help.
Nina

NinaBree

5 Year Member
It goes up about a foot over two and a half feet, not that steep. It has AstroTurf on it.

Edna

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rawlins, Wyoming
One of our members (can't remember who) recommends a 1:4 ramp. AstroTurf has a nap, doesn't it? She might feel a lot of difference in the surface between going up and coming down. If you rub your hand over it going down the ramp, is it soft, slick, pokey?

NinaBree

5 Year Member
I figured it out. I don't think she liked the bright green color. When she would go up to the top she wouldn't even want to go near where her ramp was, she'd literally tortoise sprint over to the other side. I moved the little heat lamp (75W) over to where the top of the ramp is to make her more enticed to go over there and then covered the ramp with her substrate. As soon as I did that she B-lined to the ramp and raced down it. The first time she got scared again about half way so I put a block under the ramp to make it less sleep and then put her back at the top. She went all the way down and then strait into her hide. Too much drama for our poor little girl. Here are some picks of the new set up. (I know we have to come up with a better way to secure her heat lamps)

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 57
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 50
Status
Not open for further replies.