African helmeted turtles - okay to keep together?

wendigo

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
So I recently introduced Lazarus, the African Helmeted turtle we got from Petsmart. Thanks for the species id and care suggestions. I am stupidly head over heels for this turtle. I have other reptiles, tortoises, lizards and snakes - but something about his little crazy face and bottomless pit appetite just kills me. He's currently living in a 300 gallon pond and may or may not be eating our goldfish. We know he ate the dojo loaches :) I'm setting up a 75 gallon tank inside for the winter, it gets too cold here for him to be outside year round.

My question is - can they live together with the same species? Of course we were back at Petsmart to pick up the 75 gallon tank and they have another helmeted turtle, who's just as adorable. I tried to do some research and it looks like maybe they would fight - if thats the case we will stick with one to keep Lazarus safe. Also - he's been eating shrimp and tilapia and is becoming horribly spoiled. IMG_3087.JPG
More please?
IMG_3086.JPG
He puffs out his throat and surges out of the water like a shark when it's shrimp day, hehehe. You can see the growth lines in his shell.
IMG_3021.JPG

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
He is adorable and I have no idea how he would react to another one, but he doesn't look in the least bit lonely!

zovick

10 Year Member!
So I recently introduced Lazarus, the African Helmeted turtle we got from Petsmart. Thanks for the species id and care suggestions. I am stupidly head over heels for this turtle. I have other reptiles, tortoises, lizards and snakes - but something about his little crazy face and bottomless pit appetite just kills me. He's currently living in a 300 gallon pond and may or may not be eating our goldfish. We know he ate the dojo loaches :) I'm setting up a 75 gallon tank inside for the winter, it gets too cold here for him to be outside year round.

My question is - can they live together with the same species? Of course we were back at Petsmart to pick up the 75 gallon tank and they have another helmeted turtle, who's just as adorable. I tried to do some research and it looks like maybe they would fight - if thats the case we will stick with one to keep Lazarus safe. Also - he's been eating shrimp and tilapia and is becoming horribly spoiled. View attachment 357410
More please?
View attachment 357411
He puffs out his throat and surges out of the water like a shark when it's shrimp day, hehehe. You can see the growth lines in his shell.
View attachment 357412
Personally, I would stick with just one. The present one will do better without the stress of having another resident in its home territory, especially when that territory becomes a 75 gallon tank in the winter.

wendigo

Florida
Personally, I would stick with just one. The present one will do better without the stress of having another resident in its home territory, especially when that territory becomes a 75 gallon tank in the winter.
That was my gut feeling, that one is better. Thanks for confirming.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA

My question is - can they live together with the same species? Of course we were back at Petsmart to pick up the 75 gallon tank and they have another helmeted turtle, who's just as adorable. I tried to do some research and it looks like maybe they would fight - if thats the case we will stick with one to keep Lazarus safe. Also - he's been eating shrimp and tilapia and is becoming horribly spoiled. View attachment 357410
More please?
View attachment 357411
View attachment 357412
OMG!!!! That FACE!!!!😍

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
That was my gut feeling, that one is better. Thanks for confirming.

"We know to come here b/c they will be honest and tell us what we already know in our guts.....what we really want is for them to say it's ok....but we know better. "

Well done W!

I'm no different.....that why I ran the hydroplane idea past my sweetheart....I kinda knew....but she confirmed it. LOL loudly!

Good luck, and that's a sweet looking guy!

jeff