African hibiscus...and??? Anybody?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
We have some cool looking plants at work...I'm pretty sure the first shots are African hibiscus...
the other...not sure. As they are in dog play yards...I presume them not to be toxic...but I'll defer to the experts. Tom? If this is African hibiscus...you should know it off the bat ;)DSC_0182.JPGDSC_0183.JPG DSC_0184.JPG DSC_0185.JPG DSC_0187.JPG DSC_0188.JPG DSC_0186.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think your 'african hibiscus' is really Ruellia caroliniensis, or Carolina wild petunia. I've never seen anything similar to the other plant, sorry.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The african hibiscus seeds we got from Tomas contained several varieties, but with all the color and flower varieties, I only have two basic leaf types. One type is sort of roundish, serrated, and very similar to the regular hibiscus that we all know. The other leaf type, seen mostly on the green varieties that have the yellow flowers, tend to have 5 serrated pinnae. Almost resembles marijauna leaves.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
The first shot looks like Mexican petunia. I have a couple of those. Does it bloom then close up and then rebloom every night-morning?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Hey Kelly...just found that out myself! It is Mexican petunia...makes sense since the leaves look like marijuana leaves...;) And yes! It opens and closes as stated.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yeah super cool plants. They grow very rapidly in yours, and our climate. Super drought tolerant and very cool. Not sure if they are tort worthy(safe) though. Also I have no idea what the other plant is.