African Spur Sulcata----(bladder stone)

Bbaarrrryy

My Sulcata is 5 years old, about 13 pounds. About 10 days ago he looked like he had an eye infection. Took to vet, they gave me drops and he is recovering. Then I noticed a few days later he quit pooping and eatng much. Bottom line is this. Seemed to be trying to poop but couldnt. Took to vet again this afternoon, took xrays. They noticed a large blockage of calcium blocking the exit. He said he dosent do it but would refer to another vet to see if they can break it up and pull it out in pieces??????L or have to cut into his shell and survival is not good. Anyone had this issue? Said blockage was as big as golf ball

Katherine

5 Year Member
A grave situation but very possible to break it up and clear the blockage without surgery in most cases. Get him to an experienced reptile vet ASAP! We have had success breaking them up with hemastats and repeatedly flushing the cloaca. Once you get past this you will want to revisit your diet and hydration routine to try to eliminate the route cause. Goodluck, if it is just a calcium carbonate blockage odds are good an experienced herp vet can help you, don't spare any time.

Bbaarrrryy

A grave situation but very possible to break it up and clear the blockage without surgery in most cases. Get him to an experienced reptile vet ASAP! We have had success breaking them up with hemastats and repeatedly flushing the cloaca. Once you get past this you will want to revisit your diet and hydration routine to try to eliminate the route cause. Goodluck, if it is just a calcium carbonate blockage odds are good an experienced herp vet can help you, don't spare any time.
Does anyone know of a vet in the Phoenix AZ area that does this?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
There is a llist of veterinarians in the Phoenix area in the vet list section of the forum. Look under tortoise topics and then vet list in the browse section if you're using the app. I hope they can help your tortoise, good luck.

Bbaarrrryy

Thanks for your help, but we lost her this morning, had stone removed and died of the toxic waste released in her system.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Oh darn it! That's awful. But it was better that you tried than just leaving it alone. They just waste away and die without treatment and it takes a long time for a tortoise to starve to death. I'm so sorry this happened.