african spur thigh feedings

Status
Not open for further replies.

clark

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
cape canaveral/cocoa beach florida
i have an african spur thigh tortoise i feed him 3 times a day trutle chow and once at night some collard greens, mustard greens,or some kale he eats alot and i worry if its tomuch hes oonly about 3 inces wide and 7 ounces he will eat a compact hand full of veggies a day and 2 mazu tortoise chow pellets that range in size from around 1 or 1 1/2 inces a piece.is tortoise chow okay to feed clark?i do put a dusting of herptivite with beta carotene on his food once a day.herptivite is a rep-cal/a multivitamin for reptiles.how often should i give this to him and should i stop with the mazu tortoise chow pellets?

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
RE: feeding

There are many variables to consider. What type of tortoise you have, how old that tortoise is and what you are feeding it. Also how much and how often on top of whether or not the tort gets plenty of exercise.

clark

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
my spur thigh is about 5 months old and 7 ounces.I built him and pin 12ft long by 6ft wide he moves very well constantly from hut to basking area.

clark

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
RE: feeding

JustAnja said:
There are many variables to consider. What type of tortoise you have, how old that tortoise is and what you are feeding it. Also how much and how often on top of whether or not the tort gets plenty of exercise.

hello my name is tim.I have a african spur thigh hes about 3 to 4 inches wide and about 4 to 5 months old and ways 7 ounces.i built him a pen 16ft by 6 ft wide in my house for the time being to hes old enough and big enough to build a outside enclosure.he gets around a fair amount of time spending 20 to 30 min sun bathing at a time and then returns to hut for a hour nap usually then its back to the sun bathing or hes small pool i built him to soak in.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
hi Clark,
a Sulcata needs a more Grassy and weed diet rather than veggies.
Tortoise chow pellets are bad, you should not feed them.

You should supplement the tortoise food with a good brand that holds all vitamins, minerals and calcium.
Nutrobal is very good, and you can use a cuttle bone for calcium.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Mazuri Tortoise Chow pellets are a good supplement and treat if given once or twice per week. This is coming from friends who have been breeding and raising torts for years and years and have written books about specific breeds. It really should not be used as your tortoises main staple in his diet.

Here is a good page to help you get your tortoise on the right diet so that he/she grows properly.

http://africantortoise.com/diet.htm

clark

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
thank u to Anja buffalo and t-p for ur advice and help on getting me pointed down the right path.U made clarks day and my day as well.i hope to soon post pic of clark hes so very awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.