African Spur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenn1

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fernley Nevada
Yesterday I went to my vet,and she told me someone brought this tort in.Its was almost on deaths door.
The guy wanted to give it to a school,and wanted to have it checked out first.His intentions were good,but he didnt know how to take proper care of it.
She started the exam,the shell was very soft,and the tort could not walk,and was thin and looked to be dehydrated..And there's pyramiding
She did a fecal,it was loaded with perisites.She did a blood test,calcium deficiency.
Shes had him for 9 months now and hes doing great.He will be ready for a new home in a few more months.
The animal ark here is to full and cant except him.
The vet is willing to ship,Also you need proof as to housing out doors and the proper care needed to provide for this tort.
Heres some pictures,
003.jpg

002.jpg

001-2.jpg

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
I would like to be considered to adopt him. I would love to give that beautiful boy a new home. I live in So Cal. I have a huge yard that my hubby is tired of mowing. He said I could foster for the local shelters and will help me build enclosures as needed ( e really likes the table I built the kids.) He also gave me the ok to rototill the yard down to expand my vege garden. I can send you yard pics if you'd like. Also any idea of shipping cost? and is there a rehoming fee? Any idea of age? Also you referred to him, is he a he?

Dawna

Jenn1

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Fernley Nevada
I will concider you.
No rehoming and adoption fees.And Im sure she will pay the shipping.
Age is unknown,and not sure if it a male or female
Its hard to find a good home for a tort that gets to be 200 to 300 pounds.
I would take him,but here in Fernley Nevada,I would have to bring him in doors for the winters.So we want him to be in the correct environment

M

Maggie Cummings

galvinkaos said:
I would like to be considered to adopt him. I would love to give that beautiful boy a new home. I live in So Cal. I have a huge yard that my hubby is tired of mowing. He said I could foster for the local shelters and will help me build enclosures as needed ( e really likes the table I built the kids.) He also gave me the ok to rototill the yard down to expand my vege garden. I can send you yard pics if you'd like. Also any idea of shipping cost? and is there a rehoming fee? Any idea of age? Also you referred to him, is he a he?

Dawna

It's funny...some people would think that all Sulcata look the same...but I don't think so for instance I think that Bob has a beat up face like Mickey Rourke in the Wrestler...but this tort has a really pretty face...bet it's a girl...

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
Thanks Jenn1 for considering me. Let me know about the pics or any other info you would like. I will be happy to send them. I have the perfect spot that is able to expand as needed. Already has a mini patio cover and a giant dogloo, 2 sides are block walls and 1 is the house. So I only have to build a wall/fence on 1 side. :p

Maggie,

The peacock, guppy and many other species the males are the better looking of the species. Look at the little boys who have gorgeous eyelashes and hair (my son). But you are right very good looking tort.

Dawna

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
pretty face so it must be a girl? lol most of the species of males are far more pretty than the females, and BTW I am a male and have had many nice comments on my eyes and eyelashes. :p

Jenn1

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Fernley Nevada
I finally talked to the vet and shes really excited about finding him a new home.
I got some more info from her.
Shes not to sure,but she thinks its a male.
And the guy she rescued it from said it was cb,but who really knows.
And he told her the tort was 3 years old.
She received the tort in September of 08'.And he has doubled in size.
He went from 40 grams to 1 kilogram.
What is 1 kilogram in pounds ?
And shes still not sure about how far she wants to ship him.

Jenn

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
All non adult sulcatas are CB. The US hasn't allowed imports of sulcatas since 2000. A kilogram is 2.2 pounds.

Danny

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
If you can post a tail shot we can try and tell you the sex.

FGCinHB

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I'd like to adopt her also,LMK and I'll send pics of my yard, I live in SoCal.

M

Maggie Cummings

She has a really pretty face, but her carapace doesn't look right. It looks like it's shaped funny somehow and the sides look smaller then they should be for the size of the dome. I think she looks like she has MBD.
I'm not sure I have ever seen such a clean and shining tortoise. That's really clean and you can see the pink growth line down the middle of her plastron...pink and shining clean...has she ever been in the dirt?

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
Well she has been at the vet for 9+ months. I bet she has a pretty clean life right now. We don't know what she originally was suffering from.

Dawna

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
She is beautiful. Has the vet decided what she is gonna do??

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I thought she looked almost too clean, too, lol. Does she ever get to be a TORTOISE? In my experience, they LIKE to play in the dirt and get dirty. I rinse my girls off, and don't let them get caked or anything, but I really think that tort needs to get outside and get filthy, lol.

Kristina

Jenn1

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Fernley Nevada
The tort stays inside at the vets office.
I was thinking of telling her I would foster him,until the time comes to find him a new home.I have a plastic kiddy pool outside.That I have set up for my rts.When it gets warmer here I could put him outside during the day.
The vet is still deciding how far she wants to ship him.

[email protected]

5 Year Member
Hello,

I am interested in adopting. I live in Oregon on 2 acres. I've been thinking about one of these lovely torts for about a year. My brother has one and we love him!

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sure wish she wasn't so far away...she is beautiful, even with her faults. I agree that her shell looks a little off. Both of mine have messed up shells...one from being chewed by a pair of dobermans and the other with pyramids...before they were given to me.

I have 4 1/2 acres, and it is in the 70's here this week. By 2 weeks from now it will be in the 80's. My greens are 4" tall and squashes, cukes, arugula, parsely, & strawberries are just sprouting. My grandchildren have been picking buckets dandelion greens and radish tops for everyone for 3 weeks. Our weather is much better here in Mississippi than Nevada weather!!

I would love to have her.

Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.