African Sulcata Tortoise Gender

Wardog

Hi! I just adopted a seventeen year old "female" from a friend that has had her since she was a hatchling. From what I've seen on this forum and other sites, I think "she" is a "he." What do you think -- is Toto a boy???

Attachments

• photo 1 (2).JPG
    photo 1 (2).JPG
    443.9 KB · Views: 70
  • photo 2 (2).JPG
    photo 2 (2).JPG
    433.5 KB · Views: 67
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    440.9 KB · Views: 67

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That's right, Toto is a boy. That big gular is the first clue. Nice tortoise. Are you prepared to have your yard excavated...to have the rose bushes uprooted...to have the lawn furniture tipped over??

If so, then welcome to the Wonderful World of Sulcata Keeping, and welcome to the Forum!

Wardog

That's right, Toto is a boy. That big gular is the first clue. Nice tortoise. Are you prepared to have your yard excavated...to have the rose bushes uprooted...to have the lawn furniture tipped over??

If so, then welcome to the Wonderful World of Sulcata Keeping, and welcome to the Forum!

Actually, no! Ha ha!

We have a wrought iron "pen" in the middle of our fenced-in yard for now. In the spring, I'd like to something more elaborate.

We live in Central Illinois, so we are planning on keeping him in our basement over the winter. I was told that he doesn't hibernate, but gets pretty lazy and doesn't eat as much. The former owner didn't do anything extra like supplemental lighting. I have some T5 fixtures from our reef tank that I can set up. I want to keep him as healthy and happy as possible :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Then provide him with heat along with the T5 fixture. They don't hibernate in the wild, however, some unknowing folks will allow them a cool down period. I've seen many of these sulcatas and it doesn't seem to have had an adverse affect on them, but to be on the safe side, keep him warm.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Congrats! You came to to right place to learn about your new forever friend!

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
What Yvonne says is very true! The big guys can do a lot of damage! Just review most of my posts and you'll see! Lol! Mine is also 17 years old but is 120 lbs. he was raised well outdoors in South Texas. Our climate is fairly similar to their wild environment.
Welcome to the forum! And good luck! You're gonna need a lot of hay! Ha!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your boy there can bust right through wrought iron anytime he wants and he could injure himself in the process. You'll need a visual barrier like 16" high strips of plywood or something.

This is a tropical species. There is no cold season where they come from. Keep him warm all year. If he is "slowing down" its because he is too cold.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
Ditto on that! I have a post regarding just that! Broke right through my wrought iron pen. I was warned as well.....