African Sulcata Tortoise Hibernating?

Abby7

5 Year Member
My parents have had a tortoise for 13 years now. We've always thought that she was an African Sulcata but I recently came across some information saying that sulcatas do not hibernate/brumate, but she has been doing so every year during the winter months. We have always brought her indoors when she starts getting sluggish and still offer her food/turn up the heat indoors, but she still ends up brumating. She has done so for 13 years. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is a sulcata or maybe some other species of tortoise? I am concerned because I read that it was dangerous for sulcatas to go into this state since they naturally do not.

This year, she has also dug herself a burrow underneath one of our bushes in the backyard and has been sleeping in the hole at night. If she is a sulcata or maybe another breed that does brumate, is it safe to let her slumber in her burrow during the winter?

Thank you! I've attached some pictures below. Hopefully someone can identify her species.

Attachments

• IMG-7200.JPG
    IMG-7200.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG-8126.JPG
    IMG-8126.JPG
    206.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG-7202.JPG
    IMG-7202.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 12

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is a sulcata and no they don't brumate. They are from Africa. It doesn't get cold enough there for them to brumate.
They may slow down and not eat as much but they should be housed with heat, basking spot, uvb and fed and watered throughout winter. Some will even go out into the snow for short periods. You should have a large winter heated shed for her or a room in the house or the basement. They need to have lots of room.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
If you read the first two threads in bold print by Tom in this Sulcata Tortoises section then you'll see how they need to be kept
I have a leopard which is also a non hibernating tort and although he eats less and is less active during the winter - often in his hide for most of the day - but he still has to have UVB, heat provided day and night, with food and water daily as your sully should. He lives in his own room in the house with a heated and insulated dog kennel as his hide.
It sounds as if your tort is surviving but possibly not thriving as he should. If you tell us your location and post pics of his enclosure/hide etc and the lamps you have you'll get good feedback and members here can help you put things right before it's too late.

Abby7

5 Year Member
Where are you located?
I'm located in southern california!

and thanks for the previous info, I will make we have the materials next time. It was just surprising to discover since we had her heated + gave her food, but she would refuse to eat and seem to brumate instead.

Abby7

5 Year Member
If you read the first two threads in bold print by Tom in this Sulcata Tortoises section then you'll see how they need to be kept
I have a leopard which is also a non hibernating tort and although he eats less and is less active during the winter - often in his hide for most of the day - but he still has to have UVB, heat provided day and night, with food and water daily as your sully should. He lives in his own room in the house with a heated and insulated dog kennel as his hide.
It sounds as if your tort is surviving but possibly not thriving as he should. If you tell us your location and post pics of his enclosure/hide etc and the lamps you have you'll get good feedback and members here can help you put things right before it's too late.
She's normally wandering our backyard during the hotter months and retreats back into her own burrow. But we keep her indoors during the winter. Will make sure she gets the proper material!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
She's normally wandering our backyard during the hotter months and retreats back into her own burrow. But we keep her indoors during the winter. Will make sure she gets the proper material!
If they're not warm enough they won't eat or move; their digestive systems also don't function properly and could affect other organs but if you aim for the temps in the caresheet you should notice a difference.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

and thanks for the previous info, I will make we have the materials next time. It was just surprising to discover since we had her heated + gave her food, but she would refuse to eat and seem to brumate instead.
You should be able to keep her outside in winter. Read Tom's night box thread and build her one.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What part of SoCal? I'm up in SCV. You'll need very different advice fro Palm Springs Vs. Redondo Beach.

Sulcatas do NOT brumate or hibernate. What is happening is that your tortoise has somehow survived in the entirely wrong conditions for the species. A female 13 year old should be 60-80 pounds, a male should be over 100 pounds, or at least close to that. You are very lucky that your tortoise survived, and its time to make some changes.

Our climate is great for them, but they need heat year round. Where they come from it is near 100 every day, like our summers, but they live underground where the temp is always 80-85 year round.

You need a heated night box. Then they can come out and warm up in the sun, but retreat to their heated shelter on our cold nights and in winter. Like one of these:

Questions are welcome. :)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I hope she has a pool she can soak in. She has been kept too dry. And wow, that's a cute hedgehog!