African Tortoise and a Calif Tortoise live together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeresKimmy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have a Sulcata, about 3 years old, that lives in his turtle box. Last night a neighbor kid came home with a Calif. Desert Tortoise, I'm guessing a year old. He is about 4 inches across the back. It was in the road, not real responsive and had some dried blood on him. After letting him know how illegal, without a permit, this was, he asked me to take it. What I have read so far is that I should not have it hibernate this winter because I do not know if it is injured, btw, he walks around fine, but slowly and I see no apparent injury other than the old blood. My question is, can I or should I even let this new tortoise live in the turtle box with the Sulcata for the winter? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi Kimmy,
You really need to keep the 2 seperate. You should also bring the Desert tortoise to a vet to get checked out. Just in case there is something wrong with him/her.

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kimmy: Every so often someone brings me a tortoise that they don't want anymore because he's sick and they can't afford a vet visit. Almost once a year I get a sick desert tortoise that has been kept with a sulcata. Without extensive testing, its impossible to actually KNOW if the tortoise is sick from something the sulcata gave him or if he's just stressed out, but I like to err on the safe side and tell people NEVER keep a sulcata or any tortoise from another continent in the same pen with a desert tortoise.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Kimmy, I have to agree with what both Danny and Yvonne have said. But as far as the dried blood, it came from somewhere. If it has internal injuries it could be a long painful way to go. I would recommend you definitely take it to a vet to get checked out. ASAP.

HeresKimmy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wow, thanks for the info. Actually, I found where he was bleeding from, he has a little scuf on his back leg. As I was rinsing him off, it bled a little then stopped. But I will have him checked out. I will also keep the turtles seperate boxes. Although, what do you think when they are both in the backyard roaming?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Keep them seperate at all times. dived the yard or find a home for the desert tort.
Do you know where the kid found it? Check with people, it may belong to someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.