Aftale about my tortoise’s shell and skin on the head

annasofiajorgensen

Location (City and/or State)
Denmark
Hello, fellow tortoise enthusiasts and tortoise owners!

The last 3-4 days, our tortoise has been a little white on his growth rings.
I am very afraid that this can be the beginning of rot?
When I scrubbed him lightly today, it didn’t come off.
Or is this merely caused by dryness?
It is very hard to keep the air on a high humid level in the enclosure in December/January because the air gets so dry.
We mist his shell and the substrate every day and also pour water into the substrate at least every week and mix it so that mould can’t grow, and the air is still too dry for a hatchling who is 7 months only. We really struggle to keep it on 75%-85% and one of us constantly has to be home so that the humid level can be that high in the cold/middle end.
This causes the substrate to be a little too wet. And if we don’t spray that much, the air is too dry.
What can one do about this?
The UV is right (10.0 fluorescent bulb), the food is right (Pre Alpin Herbs, Fibre and Baby and the weeds that we can occasionally find, as it is is cold, although he seems to fast himself naturally 2 days a week) and he gets a 15-50 min. warm bath every morning (he loves them).
He also has calcium available at all times in the form of eggshells and calcium stones. We sprinkle calcium powder with vitamin D3 five days a week and multivitamin once a week onto his food.

Then it is the head. Does the skin look normal? I am kind of concerned.

This probably isn’t anything or probably is, but I just want to Be sure he is okay.

His eyes are very clear and he has never had any discharge from his nose or any wheezing in his breathing.

Good day and thank you for reading this long post ‘till the end. Have a lovely day and Merry Christmas! xo

A8EC8ABD-1FCE-4C99-8C77-482186D06ED0.jpeg7E92F67C-7DDC-4E04-B316-7D1E97D59D00.jpeg6A7EE668-FEA1-4936-823C-9C42B368DF45.jpegD14A0035-3577-4D76-8E2A-6E7392F90290.jpeg9B74EA1E-84EC-4C99-BC08-81E999C2646A.jpeg7618AD0D-E416-4892-AE9F-6A6D7F1BDF86.jpeg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Don’t panic! New growth on a tortoise is white and gradually darkens with age. Your tort looks very nice. No problem there.

Now I’ll go back and read your post in detail and be back with more specific answers to your other questions

annasofiajorgensen

Denmark
Don’t panic! New growth on a tortoise is white and gradually darkens with age. Your tort looks very nice. No problem there.

Now I’ll go back and read your post in detail and be back with

Now I’ll go back and read your post in detail and be back with more specific answers to your other questions

Thank you very, very much!
Is it healthy, although the rings are very white in some places?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

Neither it perfectly normal and healthy new growth that will darken with age.

It is very hard to keep the air on a high humid level in the enclosure in December/January because the air gets so dry.
We mist his shell and the substrate every day and also pour water into the substrate at least every week and mix it so that mould can’t grow, and the air is still too dry for a hatchling who is 7 months only. We really struggle to keep it on 75%-85% and one of us constantly has to be home so that the humid level can be that high in the cold/middle end.
This causes the substrate to be a little too wet. And if we don’t spray that much, the air is too dry.
A youngster like this needs steady warmth and humidity year round and this is only possible in a closed chamber... an enclosure with a lid or roof over it.

Some people use a plant tent/portable mini greenhouse like this over the enclosure and lights.
58C9E2F1-BDB2-41D9-A28C-877A189E2E09.jpeg

Please read this thread and compare it with how you are keeping your tortoise. You likely have changes to make.

The UV is right (10.0 fluorescent bulb), the food is right (Pre Alpin Herbs, Fibre and Baby and the weeds that we can occasionally find, as it is is cold, although he seems to fast himself naturally 2 days a week) and he gets a 15-50 min. warm bath every morning (he loves them).
He also has calcium available at all times in the form of eggshells and calcium stones. We sprinkle calcium powder with vitamin D3 five days a week and multivitamin once a week onto his food.
Read the thread I referred to earlier. Photos of your enclosure and lighting will help us to help you.

This probably isn’t anything or probably is, but I just want to Be sure he is okay.

His eyes are very clear and he has never had any discharge from his nose or any wheezing in his breathing.

Good day and thank you for reading this long post ‘till the end. Have a lovely day and Merry Christmas! xo
Head is normal. All animals shed skin. Snakes do it tidily all in one go. Humans do it in tiny pieces that become house dust. Tortoises do it in patches and look downright tatty at times. It requires no treatment or potions and will wear off gradually as your tort goes about its business.

annasofiajorgensen

Denmark

A youngster like this needs steady warmth and humidity year round and this is only possible in a closed chamber... an enclosure with a lid or roof over it.

Some people use a plant tent/portable mini greenhouse like this over the enclosure and lights.
View attachment 313594

Please read this thread and compare it with how you are keeping your tortoise. You likely have changes to make.

Read the thread I referred to earlier. Photos of your enclosure and lighting will help us to help you.

Head is normal. All animals shed skin. Snakes do it tidily all in one go. Humans do it in tiny pieces that become house dust. Tortoises do it in patches and look downright tatty at times. It requires no treatment or potions and will wear off gradually as your tort goes about its business.
Thank you SO much! I greatly appreciate this, this is genius ❤️ I Will try tín find b way to at least close his table in some degree, I am sure that will help!
I will send pictures when he wakes up ?

annasofiajorgensen

Denmark
The shell looks ok to me, but the eyes look a little sunken (dehydration). Do you soak this tortoise in warm water daily for about a half hour each time?
Ohh ... I actually have soaked him every day since I got him in September. 15-50m every day, he loves morning baths ☺️ The water is between 32-35 celsius. What could the cause then be? Maybe I can take a picture from the side when he wakes up so that you clearly can see the eyes.

annasofiajorgensen

Denmark

View attachment 313594

Here is an enclosure video :D

zovick

10 Year Member!
Ohh ... I actually have soaked him every day since I got him in September. 15-50m every day, he loves morning baths ☺ The water is between 32-35 celsius. What could the cause then be? Maybe I can take a picture from the side when he wakes up so that you clearly can see the eyes.
Minerals from the soak water are left on the tortoise's shell when the water dries. You can get the mineral deposits off by rubbing them with white vinegar on a cotton swab or a piece of cloth. You will need to do this periodically as the minerals will keep being deposited after the daily soaks unless you use water with no mineral content (which is not desirable for the tortoise for drinking).

annasofiajorgensen

Denmark
Here are some photos of his enclosure :D We usually have a planter also, we have 5, but they are regrowing at the moment as he has eaten them ?

FEDDD451-5483-4FF0-AB82-C2E9275F1948.pngCE0E01F9-35F2-4028-9E46-C9DD63BD2803.png64B5A93A-D1CD-4A3A-9581-77E40BA35568.pngDFFA921F-EB0C-4EBC-AA82-128103CADFDD.pngAE057590-D81A-4F49-87C1-10D33CD6E94E.pngFC4BC4AE-03E1-439D-AADF-FA798C9A38D3.png11496F1F-D57A-483B-AB70-F0A6EFEB5CA1.png7BE67BD9-1545-4173-8269-C039D1A505A1.pngD414CE26-BCCB-4E15-9CE4-3B18C94E0473.png

annasofiajorgensen

Denmark
Minerals from the soak water are left on the tortoise's shell when the water dries. You can get the mineral deposits off by rubbing them with white vinegar on a cotton swab or a piece of cloth. You will need to do this periodically as the minerals will keep being deposited after the daily soaks unless you use water with no mineral content (which is not desirable for the tortoise for drinking).
Here are some pictures of his eyes and 2 pictures where one can see the left eye and the right eye :D I think his left eye is more sunken than the right on these photos

B8C22608-8A3B-4936-BD08-43C7BB3617C7.jpeg9F41E4FD-CF54-4765-8D4F-7C4CC16259C8.jpeg0B865D7E-CD1D-4DD6-89C9-35CCCCBBDD74.jpeg76527A68-FDBC-4100-AB56-A59A95DF441F.jpeg

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina

View attachment 313588View attachment 313589View attachment 313590View attachment 313591View attachment 313592View attachment 313593
He is so cute ?

annasofiajorgensen

Denmark
Ahh ok, that makes sense!! There is a lot of calcium in the water Here, so I just thought that would be good for him to drink and his Shell (although the calcium goes through his system without much of it being absorbed) ? He hasn’t had urates in a long time, I Think it is because he stays longer and longer in the bath, etting very hydreres, he loves it, sometimes an hour! Is that bad for his Shell?
Are you completely sure that it is it good to scrub him with vinegar? He would never see vinegar in the Wild ... If the Minerals are not bad for his Shell, is it then ok to leave Them be?

Kindly, Anna Sofia

annasofiajorgensen

Denmark
He is so cute ?
Aww thank you! I Think so too! He isn’t afraid at all and he is very curious ? Sometimes he even stretches his neck and head towards my fingers in the morning, so he can be rubbed, first he stretches the head to one side so I can stroke him gently on one side of the neck, then when he is done with that, then he moves his head to the other side so I can stroke him on that side of the neck.
I always heard that tortoises didn’t like to be petted or touched, but I think he does, when he wants his neck rubbed. Maybe his muscles are sore sometimes from holding his head, he walks a lot ☺️
Do you also have a tortoise? ☺️

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

View attachment 313588View attachment 313589View attachment 313590View attachment 313591View attachment 313592View attachment 313593

look at da little baaaabbyyyyyy!!!!
Aaawwwwww!!!!!
Look at da whittle face!!!!!
Aaaawwwwwwww!!!!!!
I want hi/her! ?
SOSOSOSOSOSOIOOSOSISIISISSSSSSOOOOOOOOO. CUTE!!

zovick

10 Year Member!
Ahh ok, that makes sense!! There is a lot of calcium in the water Here, so I just thought that would be good for him to drink and his Shell (although the calcium goes through his system without much of it being absorbed) ? He hasn’t had urates in a long time, I Think it is because he stays longer and longer in the bath, etting very hydreres, he loves it, sometimes an hour! Is that bad for his Shell?
Are you completely sure that it is it good to scrub him with vinegar? He would never see vinegar in the Wild ... If the Minerals are not bad for his Shell, is it then ok to leave Them be?

Kindly, Anna Sofia
Vinegar won't hurt the tortoise if you don't get it in the eyes. No, they don't see vinegar in the wild, but remember this also: rainwater has no mineral content, so this condition of mineral deposits on the shell would not happen in the wild. Even if a wild tortoise soaked occasionally in a pool of water which did have some minerals in it, the minerals would not deposit as heavily as when the tortoise is soaked daily in water with high mineral content as yours has.

That being said, if you don't mind seeing the white deposits, there is no real need to remove them. They are not harmful.

Sitting in the soak water for an hour is not a problem, so as long as the tortoise is enjoying it, let him do so.

annasofiajorgensen

Denmark
Ahh, ok, I understand!! ?
Thank you! Then I Will just leave it be, I SM trying to have as little possible of “unatural” things internering with him, fx only pre alpin food and foraging food from the wild, I never give him anything from supermarket ?
Do you know if it is best to put him outside in the first summer? He was born in May 2019, and We are not sure if We should put him outside this summer or the next ?
Ok, then I Will just let him soak for as long as he Wants to ☺?

Kindly, Anna Sofia

Last edited:

zovick

10 Year Member!
Ahh, ok, I understand!! ?
Thank you! Then I Will just leave it be, I SM trying to have as little possible of “unatural” things internering with him, fx only pre alpin food and foraging food from the wild, I never give him anything from supermarket ?
Do you know if it is best to put him outside in the first summer? He was born in May 2019, and We are not sure if We should put him outside this summer or the next ?
Ok, then I Will just let him soak for as long as he Wants to ☺?

Kindly, Anna Sofia
If it were my tortoise, I would keep it indoors until it reached about 4 inches (10 cm) or more in length. Predators can bother and/or injure small tortoises and I don't like to take unnecessary chances.

annasofiajorgensen

Denmark
look at da little baaaabbyyyyyy!!!!
Aaawwwwww!!!!!
Look at da whittle face!!!!!
Aaaawwwwwwww!!!!!!
I want hi/her! ?
SOSOSOSOSOSOIOOSOSISIISISSSSSSOOOOOOOOO. CUTE!!

Hihihi, I also love him sooo much! ?? Best thing to wake up in the morning
If it were my tortoise, I would keep it indoors until it reached about 4 inches (10 cm) or more in length. Predators can bother and/or injure small tortoises and I don't like to take unnecessary chances.
Ikk yeah :D He is about 6-7 cm :D

Kindly, Anna Sofia