Again, More questions for species!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonaSydly

5 Year Member
I have some species questions, I hope it's not like an annoyance or anything, I've looked on the forum, but I just couldn't find some answers to some of my questions.

First off, is it worth it to take a chance and show up at an expo not knowing what breeds they have, or is it better to order from a reputable breeder online?

And if it's better to order online, I probably have a bigger window for breed options, but I still don't know what breed is best for me. Whatever it is, I'd like it to be under $150.
Who are some of the best online breeders of small to med. sized tortoises?

How fast do tortoises grow in the first two years of their life?

Is it better to have more than one tortoise at a time? Or are they fine alone?

How big do Redfoots get in comparison to Cherryheads?

Is there a big difference in personality between male and female tortoises?

Who are some good breeders in the Nebraska area? (If any...)

Again, sorry this is kind of a question overload, but I really want to do this right, and be a good owner. I'm sort of terrified of doing something wrong, and then ending up tortoise-less :(

Thanks so much for any answers you give, and please feel free to suggest any species you think would work.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Smaller species, pancake, Russians, Greeks, hermanns. Medium to kinda large, Leopards, red foots, stars and radiates. Unless you know,who is showing up at the show, I would buy from a breeder. If you do know who is showing up as a vendor, you could call them and see what they are bringing. Otherwise will have suggestions too, see what they all say. Good luck.

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
Its fun to bring home a new friend from an expo but equally exciting waiting for the package. I got my first from an expo and I have no idea when he was hatch or whether he was incubated male or female. I got my second tort from a breeder here on TFO and she is PERFECT! I know her origin and hatch date and what gender she was incubated for.

I have two that are almost two years and they are barely 3 inches but each animal's grow will vary based on how they are raised.

Tortoise are fine being alone but if you did want more than one get 3+ because with two one might bully the other.

That's all I can answer :) Others will come on and answer your other questions :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I would say, go to the expo and see what they really have. Ask vendors questions, if they fail to have answers then move on. Know ahead of time if you want an adult, youngster or hatching. WC (wild caught) or CB (Captive bred) or no difference to you. Know also what species you might be interested in such as sulcata, redfoot/cherryhead, Russian, Greek, and hermanni.

There is really no difference between sexes, it's more an individual tortoise thing. They can be fine alone. With your budget and experience I would say start with just one at this point in time. Cherryheads and Redfoots are pretty much the same exact animal. Cherryheads do tend to have more coloration. How fast they grow is also going to depend on the species you choose. A sulcata grows faster then a hingeback for instance.

Nebraska breeders would be Shelly Jones in Lincoln with Russians. These animals are super beautiful animals and she takes excellent care of them. She usually has a few for sale. Not sure of anybody else in Nebraska with current animals for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.