Agapanthus confusion…are leaves bad or just the stems and flowers?

Bowi

Location (City and/or State)
Ca
Wondering because I’ve been told the leaves are ok. I’m not intentionally wanting to feed my tortoise the leaves but the ones in my yard that the tortoise won’t have access to have a ton of leaves and they stick out through the fencing where he’d have access to leaves only. I’d rather not chop up my busy if it’s not too necessary. Is this ok?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Things that grow from tubers/bulbs are “usually” on the do not feed list. I’m sure there are exceptions.

Id not let my tort have access to your Agapanthus, leaves or bulbs.

From the Tortoise Table:

Common Name: Agapanthus (African Blue Lily)
Latin Name: Agapanthus spp.
Family Name: Agapanthaceae
The Agapanthus is mildly toxic to humans and can cause diarrhoea, vomiting and dermatitis. Although the leaves are palatable, the tubers are toxic to all animals and therefore it is recommended that you err on the side of caution and do not feed this plant to your tortoise.

Bowi

Ca
Things that grow from tubers/bulbs are “usually” on the do not feed list. I’m sure there are exceptions.

Id not let my tort have access to your Agapanthus, leaves or bulbs.

From the Tortoise Table:

Common Name: Agapanthus (African Blue Lily)
Latin Name: Agapanthus spp.
Family Name: Agapanthaceae
The Agapanthus is mildly toxic to humans and can cause diarrhoea, vomiting and dermatitis. Although the leaves are palatable, the tubers are toxic to all animals and therefore it is recommended that you err on the side of caution and do not feed this plant to your tortoise.

Thanks for your reply, but doesn’t “the leaves are palatable” mean they’re ok, just not the flowers?