Age and sex?

Tankthetort1

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
I got tank around 3 years ago and the guy at the reptile place told me he or she was probably one of the oldest he had seen and I was just wondering if anybody could help me ballpark around how old he or she is? Or captive or wild caught?15300398651731890255806.jpg 15300399069902045866658.jpg

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Wild caught. And... hmmm... maybe about 12 years old now?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
How long is the tortoise and how much does she weigh? (I think it’s a she but can’t be sure from that picture, I’m not great at sexing younger tortoises.)

It won’t change the fact she’s wild caught or even tell us how old she is, since tortoise growth is dependent on access to food. Just curious. She certainly looks to have grown quite a bit in the years since, looking at all the green growth rings.

P.S. if the reptile guy couldn’t tell the sex of the “oldest” tortoise he’d seen, I’d think he hadn’t seen all that many, lol.

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
Female. Telling age in nearly impossible, but I think you can safely assume 10 years old or a tad more. Be very careful if you clip those nails, if done wrong they can bleed out. Also be aware that female is capable of egg laying at that size, so depending if you want hatchlings and incubators to deal with you need to keep males away from her.