Age and sex ??

mattyd

Hi
By any chance could any roughly tell me the age of my tortoise?
And maybe the sex? I was told it was a girl by my sister when I got it but now I'm not sure what sex it is?? She told me the other day she didn't know? Can anyone help? I think it maybe roughly 4-5 years old , I have had it since my sister let me take it around 3-4 years ago and I'm pretty sure it was around. 6 months old to a year old but is there anyway of confirming my age and sex?ImageUploadedByTortForum1389652787.915019.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389652808.243244.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
How big (long) is the tortoise?

Can you post a picture of the underside and its tail? We'll need to see its rear to get an idea of its sex.

And... Welcome to the forum!!! :)

mattyd

Cheers!
Il post another picture tonight.
He or she is 95mm long?
Also is there a size to weight ratio best works?

Thanks

mattyd

ImageUploadedByTortForum1389822884.808837.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389822909.073109.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389822947.165786.jpg
Are these pictures any good for anyone to maybe confirm the sex of my tortoise?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Still a little too small to sex, IMO. I'd wait until that one grows another 3 or 4 cms in legnth. Right now, its got a smallish tail that could indicate female, but that could change as the animal reaches maturity.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Boy am I happy when I seen the Intro says ( Age and sex ? ) I thought you were asking me :) I'm happy I was wrong
Smile

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
mattyd said:
Hi
By any chance could any roughly tell me the age of my tortoise?
And maybe the sex? I was told it was a girl by my sister when I got it but now I'm not sure what sex it is?? She told me the other day she didn't know? Can anyone help? I think it maybe roughly 4-5 years old , I have had it since my sister let me take it around 3-4 years ago and I'm pretty sure it was around. 6 months old to a year old but is there anyway of confirming my age and sex?

Yeah, it looks to be around 4 or 5 years of age. We can't tell the sex unless we can see the tail.

mattyd

Ok thanks for that , il try get a better picture of his/hers tail, bit closer up.....I read somewhere that males have a bit of a hooked tail?? Is this true?
Coz I think I see a little hook there .

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Yes, males have a little hook nodule thingy at the end of the tail, but females can develop one too. The easiest way to tell the difference between males and females is by tail size. Males russians grow a huge tail while females' tails remain small.