Age of my herman

ColinS

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester
Hi. Just wondering if any1 could give me a rough guess of how old my tortoise is. He/she is a healthy 186grams. 9.5cm in length. Had tort roughly about 4 months. In perfect condition. (Compared to all other pics ) been winding down for a couple weeks now and I'm planning to hibernate her towards the end of November. Recording her weight from now on til then and so on.... any ideas of age? And any ideas tips or any worries regarding me hibernating her are welcomed. Thanks

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
We have absolutely no idea without knowing a hatch date as they all grow at different rates depending on diet and environment. It's not full grown at 9.5cm (3.5") but isn't a hatchling either. Probably a year or two old, but could be much older.

We don't usually recommend hibernating a tortoise in its first year with you. This one is pretty small, so it should be a very short hibernation. Personally,I wouldn't hibernate any tortoise under 500g

ColinS

Manchester
No way! Is that because of an age thing or just because of the weight! Confused now as some say they hibernate hatchlings. Do you mean you don’t hibernate until a certain age? I have looked at the jacksons ration and that says it’s perfect weight

ColinS

Manchester
I got it free off the internet as I had a good setup and they was more interested in finding a good suitable home I was told it was about 2 so yeah you could be right.