Age to Length

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Neverland!
Hi everyone!
Today, I am curious as to the age to length 'ratio' for sulcatas. My largest rescue is 3.8 inches at 9 months. I know (I think) he is on the smaller side. However he is rapidly growing and gaining weight. So I was wondering, how big would you say an 8 year old sulcata is. Assuming he's healthy. I know it's a big question with a ton of variables, but just an average would be awesome.
Thanks! And happy Monday.

gustaf

5 Year Member
I have a sulcata that i got a couple months ago which is 19 1/2 inches and 38 lbs. I was told he is ten years old. However, i have seen sulcatas that are the same age anywhere from as small as 12 inches to as large as about 30 inches. These are extremes but it is kind of hard to predict. I guess between 18 to 22 inches and 40 to 60 lbs would be my guess on the average 8 to 10 year old. But that is really just a wild guess.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Because the extremes are so far apart, and there are so many variables, any "average" is really meaningless.

An 8 year old sulcata could literally be anywhere from 8" to 28", realistically. Also depends on male or female. Males get much bigger and usually grow faster, though there are exceptions.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: Age to Length

Tom said:
Because the extremes are so far apart, and there are so many variables, any "average" is really meaningless.

An 8 year old sulcata could literally be anywhere from 8" to 28", realistically. Also depends on male or female. Males get much bigger and usually grow faster, though there are exceptions.

This is very interesting! Thank you.