Aggressive female hinge back any help please

Cathy Norbury

Thank you any help appreciated the first two are the female last two the male. Managed to check the female tail has slit

Cathy Norbury

Tortoises are not social creatures. They are very territorial and don't want, need or particularly like company. They don't get lonely and don't want a friend.

You have moved them to new territory and one is showing that she wants it entirely to herself.

In herds there is always a dominant tort. In pairs that translates into bully and victim.

They must be separated immediately before the victim becomes ill or worse. This will be permanent.

Please see these threads:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/pairs.34837/
Hi thank you I have separated them with the view of returning the female dominant one back to the shop. The sad thing is they have both been kept in a two foot vivarium for the past one and half years and whilst it breaks my heart to return her I feel I have no choice xxx

Cathy Norbury

A 5 foot vivarium is too small even for one tort by the way.
Thanks for the information I have to say I am shocked that this isn't big enough as was recommended that this was ample. What would you advise please, as from now I only have the male in the vivarium and he is I believe seven years old. He will also have access to a large enclosure weather permitting which is 8 ft by 12 ft xxx

Cathy Norbury

if you want to keep more than one you have to go for 3 or more. 1 male to 2 or more females so the aggression of the mail is spread out among more than just one female. Thank you for separating them your tortoise will appreciate it
Happy to just keep the one didn't really want a pair but they would only sell as a pair and felt so sorry for them being in such a small vivarium with a diet of kale and a tiny bowl of water. Never thought this would have happened was hoping in time to find one of them another home if the male became an issue. However seems it's the female that has a problem with the male, have organised returning the female on Monday to the shop and she is currently in a reptile boarding lodge as I had nowhere else to put her xxx

Speedy-1

Location (City and/or State)
St. David Arizona
Sorry you had this experience Cathy ! I think in a way its good that it happened right off before your attachment grew and you would be determined to keep them both ! :)

Cathy Norbury

Sorry you had this experience Cathy ! I think in a way its good that it happened right off before your attachment grew and you would be determined to keep them both ! :)
Hi speedy and yes I agree things do tend to happen for a reason, and yes in all honesty I am sure I would have become very attached to them both xxx