Aggressive male Russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

68merc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, CA
I have six Russians 2- male and 4-female. 200sqft outdoor enclosure with tons of hiding places. One of my males picks on one of the girls so much she has lost 4-5 scales on her front legs. I have seperated them but if one wants babies how often do I put them together and for how long? Any rule of thumb or should I look for a different male?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Have you tried to make two breeding groups? 1 male to 2 females? and the male that is obsessed with the one female should be the male with two females that do not include the one he is obsessed with????

Now, I do not breed torts and I do not have RTs....however, this is what make sense to me....

Wait round and see what the others think and offer...the more the merrier...:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My buddy had this problem too. His solution was to add two more females, make the enclosure much larger and add lots of hiding spots. Worked for him, but a couple of the older females still bear the scars.

There is also no harm in housing them separately and adding putting them together for a few days every once in a while during spring time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Murray:

That's just what male Russians do. It wouldn't matter if you had 10 females and one male. When he takes it in his mind to breed a certain female, he bites her front legs. If she won't submit, he bites harder, taking off scales, and even making eye lids bleed. Some males are more aggressive than others, but this is just what they do.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Some males are defiantly more aggressive than others

Status
Not open for further replies.