Ahh! What is THIS on my babies?!

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Does anyone know what these white patches are on my Leo's? Both of my younger hatchlings have it. Freckles may have a small patch?
Beans
ImageUploadedByTortForum1387296819.964150.jpg

Watson
ImageUploadedByTortForum1387296853.362916.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1387296993.098239.jpg

Hard to see patch on Freckles
ImageUploadedByTortForum1387297025.231736.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Elohi said:
Does anyone know what these white patches are on my Leo's? Both of my younger hatchlings have it. Freckles may have a small patch?
Beans

Watson

Are you speaking of the small, white dots? What is your substrate? And does it have tiny critters in it? Look very close.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Cowboy_Ken said:
Elohi said:
Beans

Watson

Are you speaking of the small, white dots? What is your substrate? And does it have tiny critters in it? Look very close.

The big patches of skin that is blotchy and much lighter colored than the surrounding skin.

And their substrate is a mixture of ground sphagnum peat and coconut coir. And additional long strand sphagnum moss in parts of the enclosure. The only critter I see in their enclosure is a single annoying little gnat.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Ok. I see what you're talking of. The lighter area at the base of the neck where the skin joins the carapace? Of that, I'm of no help. Sorry, at this time I've no first hand knowledge of Leo's. Hopping someone whom does will jump in and tell you not to worry, it's something they all go through.

mikeh

5 Year Member
They are shedding the skin. New skin looks healthy, nothing to worry about.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I will check my babies tonight and let you know if I see the same things. All of us Greg T baby adopters should friend each other so we can keep close tabs on the activities of our babies. Mine are doing well. They don;t seem to eat as much but they are gaining weight about the same as my others. They were slow starters and one of them has sprouted quite a bit recently.

erica anne

5 Year Member
I have also seen this on my babies before. The fresh skin that has had recent shedding looks lighter than the darker skin.

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I have sullies, but both of mine had the same thing recently on their necks. The coco coir kinda stains their skin a little, mine took to it like pigs to mud, they do all sorts of digging and burrowing in it. But yep, it's skin shedding [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH] warm soaks help remove the old skin and some of the coco coir dirt/stain.

Tort4u2love

5 Year Member
Indiana
I have a Greg t baby!! Tucker did that to. He's doing great! U gave some cute little ones!

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Ahh haaa!!
Thank you all SOOOO much. I was kinda freaking out that they had some fungal skin eating something. Phew!! Disaster averted! Just new skin/shedding. What a relief!!

And I agree those of us with Greg T babies should buddy up and watch this clutch grow!

They are such amazing little creatures. Full of personality!

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
yep just new skin with old skin shedding. Your babies are just fine and beautiful