AHI POKE YUMMY

Status
Not open for further replies.

onarock

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hawaii
Has anyone had Ahi Poke (aw-he)(poh-kay)? diced, raw yellow fin tuna, sesame oil, minced Maui sweet onion, green onion, red pepper flake, limu (lee-moo) or seaweed and corse Hawaiian sea salt all mixed together. Its a Hawaiian dish and very popular here and tonights dinner for me. MMMM, MMMM Good.
Picture016.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Picture014.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Hmmmm I thought the title was a little dirty :) till I saw the food. I went to hawaii about a year ago for a vacation fell in love with the islands and plan to move there one day.

S

stells

Sorry Paul!!!

That looks yuk... but then this little English girl... likes her fish cooked lol

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Very interesting :D Is it sold pre-made?

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Had my first sushi in Hawaiii years ago and love it. Not all the raw stuff, but the shrimp tuna and salmon are delicious. Didn't know that ahi is yellow fin tuna. Not always sure about the freshness here so usually go with the cooked sushi (California Roll). It is always so pretty the way it is prepared. Love the seaweed wraps.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Sometimes we make it ourself. The local grocery store Foodland makes the best and all kinds. Shoyu Ahi Poke, Ahi Poke Hawaiian style, Wasabi Ahi Poke, Ahi Poke with Ogo, Muscle Poke, Tako Poke (octopus), Tako Kimchee Poke, Salmon Poke, Crab Poke on and on. its all very good. Now I'm hungry

ChiKat said:
Very interesting :D Is it sold pre-made?

John

5 Year Member
that looks like something my cat puked up! can ya send me some, I want to taste it.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Thanks Bozo. They dont sell that at WaWa or whatever its called? :)

squamata said:
that looks like something my cat puked up! can ya send me some, I want to taste it.

LeroyLeft

5 Year Member
ct
Lived in oahu as very small child ,went back in 94 to maui and oahu,99 back to maui and kauai, 2002 on a cruise to oahu ,the big lsland ,maui and kauai , heck i would try it.

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
It looks gross, but the ingredients sound good!

I've never had actual Sushi, I much prefer a slab of medium rare prime rib on the nights we go out, but I do love raw Ahi that's seared on the outside.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
not much different actually. If you get a chance, try it. You just might like it.

October said:
It looks gross, but the ingredients sound good!

I've never had actual Sushi, I much prefer a slab of medium rare prime rib on the nights we go out, but I do love raw Ahi that's seared on the outside.

S

stells

lol... Bozo.... what have you been feeding your cat!!!

squamata said:

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Paul you bad bad man :p That looks to die for. :D I love sushi and sashimi. Going to have to see if I can do that myself, as I've never seen it for sale here.

Danny

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
:) Thanks Danny. I can send you a couple of family recipe's for Poke if you like. Next day Poke in a frying pan for a minute or two over some steamed white rice is also a guilty pleasure.

John

5 Year Member
stells said:

squamata said:
It says it right up there in the title kelly, AHI, that means tuna.:D
And as for your name calling I have sent a p.m. to the proper authorities ( danny) So prepare to be moderated....LOL :D

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
There you go again :p Keep poke-ing me :D

I'd love the recipes. I would though have to make a huge batch to have any left to heat it up and have it over rice the next day. :D

I'm watching you two :cool:

Danny

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Actually John, Ahi means fire. :p. The Hawaiians did not have modern fishing line and used thin rope that they made as fishing line. When they hooked a Yellow Fin Tuna (Ahi), it would take off soo fast that the rope rubbing on the gunwale (Nautical term for the top edge of a boat) on the Wa'a (Hawaiian word for canoe, pronounced Vah-ah) sometimes caught fire. Hawaiians would yell Ahi, Ahi and thats how the fish got its name.

squamata said:
stells said:

squamata said:
It says it right up there in the title kelly, AHI, that means tuna.:D
And as for your name calling I have sent a p.m. to the proper authorities ( danny) So prepare to be moderated....LOL :D

Status
Not open for further replies.