Air circulation in enclosed tort table

nicole.graves

Please accept my apologizes if this has been posted elsewhere, but what (if anything) do you do for air circulation in a closed table? We built a table and are building a plexiglass lid. Do we need to drill holes? This is for a young cherry head red foot. I've read conflicting information. Thanks!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
It's very unlikely that your enclosure will be completely air tight even with the lid. You aren't building a sealed unit. You have to be able to get to your tortoise. :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Also you will probably need a gap in the lid to allow for a Ceramic Heat Emitter unless your enclosure is very tall.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The trick is to have enough air circulation, but no too much. Each enclosure is different. My closed chambers have always had overlapping sliding front doors which allow plenty of air circulation. I've never made an enclosure by putting a top on a tank. If you have ventilation at the top, your heat and humidity will rise up and out.

You'll have to run the enclosure and adjust as needed.

nicole.graves

It's very unlikely that your enclosure will be completely air tight even with the lid. You aren't building a sealed unit. You have to be able to get to your tortoise. :)

It will not be sealed. We are attaching a hinged lid. Certainly won't be air tight. Thanks!

nicole.graves

The trick is to have enough air circulation, but no too much. Each enclosure is different. My closed chambers have always had overlapping sliding front doors which allow plenty of air circulation. I've never made an enclosure by putting a top on a tank. If you have ventilation at the top, your heat and humidity will rise up and out.

You'll have to run the enclosure and adjust as needed.

Thank you! That was the plan to run it and adjust. We will have a hinged top consisting of 3 plexiglass panels. There will still be an overlap but it just doesn't seem like much air will be moving.

nicole.graves

Also you will probably need a gap in the lid to allow for a Ceramic Heat Emitter unless your enclosure is very tall.
Enclosure is 16 inches tall. We had planned to mount it on the side but I will have to check our research as far as recommended side mounting measurements. Thanks!