Honeybunnfarms

Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
My roommate likes to use the glad air fresheners but I’ve heard those are super toxic so I was looking for alternatives so that I could have it safe for my tortoise and she could have her favorite smells and I found air wick natural and was wondering if that was safe for tortoises. Also does anyone have suggestions for safe fragrances in case air wick isn’t?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Is he spraying it into the enclosure? I dont think that if she is just using short burts in the room area it should be fine. May I suggeest some rolly polly (pillbugs) for your enclosure. They help break down plant material and poop helping to cut done on the odor production

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all. I rejected that advice, along with a bunch of other teachings that I didn't find useful.

I can't stand fake scent stuff in the air. I can't stand it when the car in front of me has an air freshener and I can smell it. Why would anyone want to breathe that in all day? Blechhh.

As for your tortoise, they have a very sensitive sense of smell. Running that sploochy stuff in your house all day will certainly mess with them. Sort of the same way a red bulb will mess with them visually. There are no scientific studies done to prove what effect this will have on a tortoise, but I wouldn't want it for me or my animals.

I realize these statements are not helpful to answering your question of which one to use, but my answer is to not use any.

Honeybunnfarms

South Carolina
I don’t plan on putting it in her enclosure
Is he spraying it into the enclosure? I dont think that if she is just using short burts in the room area it should be fine. May I suggeest some rolly polly (pillbugs) for your enclosure. They help break down plant material and poop helping to cut done on the odor production
I definitely don’t plan on spraying it in her enclosure and I’ve told my roommate not to spray anything on my side of the room. And that’s good to know for the future!

Honeybunnfarms

South Carolina
I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all. I rejected that advice, along with a bunch of other teachings that I didn't find useful.

I can't stand fake scent stuff in the air. I can't stand it when the car in front of me has an air freshener and I can smell it. Why would anyone want to breathe that in all day? Blechhh.

As for your tortoise, they have a very sensitive sense of smell. Running that sploochy stuff in your house all day will certainly mess with them. Sort of the same way a red bulb will mess with them visually. There are no scientific studies done to prove what effect this will have on a tortoise, but I wouldn't want it for me or my animals.

I realize these statements are not helpful to answering your question of which one to use, but my answer is to not use any.
I’m going to try to convince my roommate to use essential oils such as Rose, mint and other safe fragrances. If it were up to me than I would be using just organic stuff but since it’s not, I’m trying to compromise in the best way possible by trying to find an air freshener that is safe for her and one that my roommate likes (she would probably be fine with essential oils but she greatly enjoys apple cinnamon and pumpkin spice in the fall). I’m just trying to find a good safe zone for both her and Rosie

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
The essential oils can be much worse since some do cause physical reactions/aromatherapy. If candles are an option this is a personal favorite of the wife and I and helps with three big *** dogs. Also I am very sensitive to sprays- Febreeze on stinky clothes knocks me around and makes my nose run. I am a true no scenter, but I understand a protion of the world are very scent oriented-I work with a guy that wears a cologne that kills me. This is the main candle at it is a good smelling beauty and lots of pet shops carry it so you can sniff before you buy. SPECIALTY PET PRODUCTS Lollipets Pet Odor Exterminator 13 Ounce Jar Candle 1596379451134.png

Honeybunnfarms

South Carolina
The essential oils can be much worse since some do cause physical reactions/aromatherapy. If candles are an option this is a personal favorite of the wife and I and helps with three big *** dogs. Also I am very sensitive to sprays- Febreeze on stinky clothes knocks me around and makes my nose run. I am a true no scenter, but I understand a protion of the world are very scent oriented-I work with a guy that wears a cologne that kills me. This is the main candle at it is a good smelling beauty and lots of pet shops carry it so you can sniff before you buy. SPECIALTY PET PRODUCTS Lollipets Pet Odor Exterminator 13 Ounce Jar Candle View attachment 302003
Thank you so much! I can’t use candles but I saw they have pet friendly air sprays so that was really helpful!!