ALADAR love honeysuckle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
This was funny...Our honeysuckle bush started blooming this week...and today it just exploded with new blooms...Aladar went nuts...He was SOOOOO excited that he started chomping his mouth open and shut before he even got to the flowers! Check out the first shot...CRACKS ME UP!:D
ztusr6.jpg

315c0i1.jpg

2dv30w.jpg

Urtle

5 Year Member
Great Shots... love all three of them, he looks extremely happy!

S

Scooter

Looks like someone might have an addiction lol :D Great pics!

M

Maggie Cummings

Whatever they are... he can't get them down fast enough!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Here are three shots of the bush/vine...if anyone can verify...I thought hibiscus when I first saw the flowers, but my neighbor told me honeysuckle...so I went with that rather than stick to my guns...
2iqg2fp.jpg

2hmj6g2.jpg

z2zo5.jpg

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
kyryah said:
Red trumpet vine? AKA Blood Trumpet?

He looks like her really loves them!

Thanks Kristina...matches to a T!:)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I'm assuming they're related to hibiscus...can't find sh*t on whether they're toxic or not...I'm not worried cuz the others have been feeding on them for the last 2 years with no ill effects...afterall we thought hibiscus or honeysuckle...anyone have any experience with these and torts?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Holy cow, what a beautiful vine! I have honeysuckle too, and it smells marvelous right now, but good grief, not even close to yours in color and size.

Lucky dog.

Love those "BIG BITEZ", as Stagger Lee would confirm. Eat 'em up, Aladar.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Well, according to the World Chelonian Trust, Red Trumpet Vine is toxic...funny since they've been eating it for a coupla years...but I guess that's that! I'm waiting to hear from Tortoise Table to see what they think...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Toxic how?

Somethings are toxic if eaten to excess, while as part of a balanced diet, are fine. Kind of like a Redfoot eating Pothos, know what I mean? In excess the oxalic acid could prove toxic... But in moderation, occasionally, it has been shown to be fine.

I would be interested to know what toxic compound the red trumpet is supposed to contain, especially considering yours have been eating them for some time.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Couldn't say...it was very generalized...no explanation! I mean, it's an absolute favorite for hummingbirds...and the ants march in and out all day.... possibly too sugary...i.e. maybe it's something in the bells (or cups)...but they consume the leaves too like no problem.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
How funny Yvonne...I was just looking at this site!

TortoisesRock!

5 Year Member
Great pics, thanks for sharing! My backyard is full of trumpet vine-Its spreads like a virus!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm very late to this thread, but that is one of the few that I do know. We had a ton of it at my college. It IS trumpet vine and it IS toxic. I don't know how toxic, but were were told by both the horticulture teacher and the vet NOT to feed it to anything or allow it to be eaten.

I don't let mine eat things I'm not sure of, just for this reason.

Although the oxalis had me fooled until I found TFO.

Status
Not open for further replies.