Albino Hatchlings res Blind or Poor Sight?!

JWiediyanto

Today, I gave him pellets as normal. I found out that he needs for time to eat. He need several bite to bite a pellet. He miss 3 to 4 times but when he eat bloodworm, he has no problem. I heard many people have the same problem but I just want to know if my albino baby red ear slider is blind or just have poor sight... I hope you guys could answer. If I could post a video, I will

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I have noticed that some baby turtles don't seem to have very good depth perception. As long as he can eventually find and bite the pellets, I wouldn't worry just yet.

JWiediyanto

Pellets that I gave:

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1413297610.022248.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1413297632.605120.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1413297646.321737.jpg

The size of the pellets:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1413297690.205108.jpg

I fed my turtle, saki-hikari turtle pellets and mazuri turtle pellets. I know that the pellets is too big but in my country there isn't any baby pellets. Is that one of the reason it is hard for him to eat?

mfedzen

5 Year Member
Heres a couple tips, 1) dont drop food in and attempt to watch it eat, it will probably just make you mad. Drop and walk away. 2) any food still floating after 15 mins squeeze a little bit to let the air out so it sinks. Baby turtles, especially the more blind lines of albino sliders, eat most of what they eat from the bottom.

JWiediyanto

Heres a couple tips, 1) dont drop food in and attempt to watch it eat, it will probably just make you mad. Drop and walk away. 2) any food still floating after 15 mins squeeze a little bit to let the air out so it sinks. Baby turtles, especially the more blind lines of albino sliders, eat most of what they eat from the bottom.
Is that means that my turtle is partially blind or blind or just poor eye sight? I did that, I squeeze it and he ate it but I'm just wondering if my turtle is blind or not. When the pellets are floating he still eating it but need several times to bite it. I gave him a big pellet though. Is that the reason why?

JWiediyanto

Can a blind 5cm baby turtle eat by theirselves? Because mine eat by himself without any help by me.

JWiediyanto

One more, do you know "test" to see if my turtle is blind or not? Should I go to the vet to see if he is blind or not?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
It is COMPLETELY NORMAL for a turtle to strike at the food pieces and miss.....if the tortoise is only striking 3 or 4 times and then gets the food, that is NORMAL....no need to go to the vet for this behavior....

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
It is COMPLETELY NORMAL for a turtle to strike at the food pieces and miss.....if the tortoise is only striking 3 or 4 times and then gets the food, that is NORMAL....no need to go to the vet for this behavior....

Please accept my apology for the word "tortoise" in the prior message, auto fix was going crazy....lol...."turtle" should have been the actual word...

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Please accept my apology for the word "tortoise" in the prior message, auto fix was going crazy....lol...."turtle" should have been the actual word...
Ascott, I have several turtles, and beside the caramel one, the others never have problem to eat the pellets in one bite. I really hope someone can share their experiences with eye sightrs of all the albino lines

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Ascott, I have several turtles, and beside the caramel one, the others never have problem to eat the pellets in one bite. I really hope someone can share their experiences with eye sightrs of all the albino lines

Of course...the more the better---I am all for that for sure....just a side note, I have two turtles, the same size, the same age and have lived with one another since they were a few inches in size...one is dead on every time with the first strike...the other takes about 3 - 6 times before she gets the pellet...just sharing, as normal. Good luck to you.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Many albino RES are slow to figure out the eating thing, due to an inability to see as effectively as any other Slider. They do figure it out, however. Just takes time. You will see them taking water in and out of their mouth, as well as swimming more frantically when the food hits the water, but they don't always see it. Give them time and keep them separate from other turtles during feeding if you're concerned that the turtle isn't getting enough food. All in all, it might take a bit longer for a given young albino to eat than your average turtle, but he should figure it out.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Many albino RES are slow to figure out the eating thing, due to an inability to see as effectively as any other Slider. They do figure it out, however. Just takes time. You will see them taking water in and out of their mouth, as well as swimming more frantically when the food hits the water, but they don't always see it. Give them time and keep them separate from other turtles during feeding if you're concerned that the turtle isn't getting enough food. All in all, it might take a bit longer for a given young albino to eat than your average turtle, but he should figure it out.
Anthony, I'm realized of albino one. But the one I'm talking about is caramel. In the other turtle forum, I read that caramel gets good eye sight, almost as good as normal one. Also I see youtube video of baby caramels eating pellets with ease. Mine has some difficulties getting the pellets in one bite, he needs like 3-4 times to get it. Do you think it is normal for caramel eye sight to be this bad? I used to have 2 btw, but lost 1, and both have poor eye sights.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Oh, that's a horse of a different color! Caramels should have eyesight that is as affective as any turtle.
Ok got it. Then must be the line of this caramel has poor eye sights. Both of them are produced from same parents... That's too bad...

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Can you show us a photo of the turtle? I find it hard to believe that any caramel would have sight issues like those of many of the albino strains, regardless of who produced it. In caramels, you can see that much of the pigment in the eye, especially in the iris, is there.

JWiediyanto

Can you show us a photo of the turtle? I find it hard to believe that any caramel would have sight issues like those of many of the albino strains, regardless of who produced it. In caramels, you can see that much of the pigment in the eye, especially in the iris, is there.

Maybe he is talking about the caramel albino one,

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia

It's night time here now, I will take a picture tomorrow. I don't have caramel before, so I can't differ how dark the eyes should be, but I assume mine's got quite large red iris..

Anthony, do you have experience with lime albino RES? Do the eyes color stay red till adult? It looks very nice for a morph RES, I might buy it if the eyes stay red.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Sorry it's taken me a while to post the picture. I've been pretty busy here and there. Please take a look and share your opinion whether the eyes look like normal caramel or the iris is redder than usual and more to the albino line.
2606542.jpg

Thank you.