Albino Redfoots

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortguy521

5 Year Member
Hi i saw a albino redfoot tortoise for sale online and i was just curious about how a albino tortoise is produced or can it happen with any breeding pair or does there have to be specific torts.

thanks.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
albino is a trait and the tortoise needs to hold that trait in order to produce an albino, its a defect in dna, and in the wild they would die, so most are only from captiviity.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It's real easy if you have 2 albinos you breed together :p You'll get all albino hatchlings. If though you have 2 normal colored adults, both the adults have to have the recessive gene for albinism. So with WC animals it's totally hit or miss and only happens very rarely.
That albino for sale happens to be a baby from a member of the forum in the Netherlands. http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-921.html?highlight=albino+redfoot

Danny

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
How come they die? Because they standout and get eaten or are too sensitive to the sun? Or because of genetic handicaps and retardation?

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
DoctorCosmonaut said:
How come they die? Because they standout and get eaten or are too sensitive to the sun? Or because of genetic handicaps and retardation?

I think the whole thing about them being more sensitive to light isn't correct. It might be slightly, but I don't think much.

They die in the wild because they are white in color and easy to pick out for things that will eat them.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
yeah they stand out.. Almost all reptiles that are albino die in the wild. Most reptiles are made to blend into there surroundings, so most baby albinos will get picked off by predators. If there are albinos born in the wild its a either a genetic defect, or the parent has the trait and passed it on. But on a side note they sure look cool in captivity, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.