Albino Sulcata VS Ivory

tortie8386

Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans
Hi everyone I’m new to the forum. Can you guys help me with the different between albino & ivory please. If you have comparison pictures would help. I’m looking to get one with the next month.
Thank you in advance.

daniellenc

Maryland
Ummmmmm albino means lack of melanin so no black. Ivory’s from what I know are light yellow white and have brown eyes

Albanism is a gene where there is NO melanin as in no black. In MOST reptiles it’s a recessive gene as in think high school bio albanism is recessive. 2 double hets in snakes or lizards yield 50/50 albino and other normal het albino. Think pink eyes albino and brown eyes light coloring a het or hypo

Now I spoke lizards and snake I’m don’t know tort genes so am speaking broadly.

Tortoisefanatic88

5 Year Member
PA
I don’t if it matters to you but the price will be a big difference. An albino hatchling goes for around $2500 give or take while an ivory goes for around $650.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
I have no first has experience but I've been told an albino can be harder to keep because sun can damage there eyes were as an ivery dose just fine with sun exposure (if I'm wrong please tell me)

daniellenc

Maryland
A hatchling needs to be kept in a warm humid environment no matter pigment. Now albanism does effect how cones and rods perceive light but im only good at explaining snakes and humans. It would also matter if we’re talking artificial light Vs. outdoors. @Tom or @Markw84

creepy-crawler

5 Year Member
SoCal
ivory - light skinned but otherwise normal, albino - red eyes, white to pinkish skin, and just a note - it is very likely that she/he will be 80-100% blind, red eyes are incredibly sensitive to the light and the outdoor existence is painful to them ( light wise), keep that in mind:)

daniellenc

Maryland
ivory - light skinned but otherwise normal, albino - red eyes, white to pinkish skin, and just a note - it is very likely that she/he will be 80-100% blind, red eyes are incredibly sensitive to the light and the outdoor existence is painful to them ( light wise), keep that in mind:)
In snakes you’re somewhat correct except most are nocturnal feeders and roamers so light is not an issue. In tortoises not sure you’re correct. An albino tortoise lacks melanin hence the pink eyes but no pink shell. Also most tortoises are active dawn and dusk so possibly light is not such an issues. This I don’t know for sure yet.