Aldabra babies not pooping for 6 days

paulus

Location (City and/or State)
Houston, TX
6 days ago I got two baby Aldabras from floridaiguana.com. They are 5'' and 6 1/4''
They eating good. I feed them spring mix, collard greens, mustard leaves, yellow squash, zukini, Mazuri Tortoise Diet, turnip greens, kale. I noticed they eating several times during a day, so I refresh their food 2-3 times a day. When I unpacked them, they they were with a lot of poops. Since that they urinate but I never seen any poops anymore. I soaked them ones since they came.

Also could you please look at enclosure, is everything ok?
Now its inside enclosure in my garage because it 55-65 cold outside. I'll move them outside when it get warmer.
Wood enclosure 8x4 feets, covered with acryl sheets. 42'' Arcadia 12% UVB lamp, temperature ~76 in cold corner, ~85 in most area. Shell temperature usually about 90. Basking area is 105. Do you see anything wrong?
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0299.jpg
    IMG_0299.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0300.jpg
    IMG_0300.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0301.jpg
    IMG_0301.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0302.jpg
    IMG_0302.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0303.jpg
    IMG_0303.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0296.PNG
    IMG_0296.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 10

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You should soak them daily in a container they can't climb out of, and leave them in there for a half hour or so. The water should come up to the middle of their sides. Also, the substrate needs to be more moist. ANd it would really help them to grow smoothly if you figure out a way to cover that enclosure to keep the warm, moist air inside and the cooler air from the room they're in out. If soaking daily for a half hour each time doesn't help them to poop, then start feeding them more wet things, like aloe, cactus, watermelon, cucumber, etc. Spritz water over the food too.

Amazon sells mini greenhouses that you can set your tort table inside:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P9T4CY3/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

They come in different sizes.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
My guess here is your temperatures are just not what you think they are. Enclosure/roof is probably letting a lot of heat out. Doesn't look humid enough. Strange angle on the CHE (which seems rather small).

Plus, you just got them & they are settling in.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Each one will need his own separate enclosure, as one will soon start to dominate and bully the other, or you might prefer to get one or two more to make a group. All the best for their health and progress.

paulus

Houston, TX
You should soak them daily in a container they can't climb out of, and leave them in there for a half hour or so. The water should come up to the middle of their sides. Also, the substrate needs to be more moist. ANd it would really help them to grow smoothly if you figure out a way to cover that enclosure to keep the warm, moist air inside and the cooler air from the room they're in out. If soaking daily for a half hour each time doesn't help them to poop, then start feeding them more wet things, like aloe, cactus, watermelon, cucumber, etc. Spritz water over the food too.

Amazon sells mini greenhouses that you can set your tort table inside:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P9T4CY3/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

They come in different sizes.

Soaking works! Thank you! Since they came to water they started pooping almost immediately.
I will move them to outside enclosure 8x20 soon, natural sunlight and humidity are crazy in my area. Until then will take care about watering and soaking.
Thank you again!

paulus

Houston, TX
My guess here is your temperatures are just not what you think they are. Enclosure/roof is probably letting a lot of heat out. Doesn't look humid enough. Strange angle on the CHE (which seems rather small).

Plus, you just got them & they are settling in.
I have 4 thermometers in different areas and check shell temperature by gun. Temperature is what I described. There is not so cold outside now and acrylic sheets work for now. Natural humidity is 65% today, which is pretty low but it only today. Usually it's >80% in my area.
What do you mean as Strange angle on the CHE? I couldn't understand abbreviation.

P.S. Heroyam Slava! :)

paulus

Houston, TX
Each one will need his own separate enclosure, as one will soon start to dominate and bully the other, or you might prefer to get one or two more to make a group. All the best for their health and progress.
Thank you! I read about it. I am going to buy one more a bit later.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Please change those water bowls to something shallow, like a cheap terracotta plan saucer. They can flip over and drown in those

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
If they are going outside at all, remember these things:. Temperature, humidity, hydration, and safety from predators.