Aldabra Buddy Emergency Vet appt

Mini

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Friendswood
Buddy was limping worse and worse each day. So I scheduled a vet appt. It was today. I bought some pipe lifting straps, 2000# load each. Added duct tape to stabilize and a BIG Tuff Stuff tub. I took him in my Mini Cooper and covered him with a black cloth to keep him "still".

Good news! Legs are good(4 x-rays). His toenails were too long, so his weight was on them. He got a pedicure on all his nails. I wonder who would have been cheaper, the vet or a podiatrist?! hahaha The vet tech followed Buddy all over the room and went thru 3 dremmel tools. He weighs 140 pounds.

Attachments

• B1B.JPG
    B1B.JPG
    406.7 KB · Views: 254
  • B2B.JPG
    B2B.JPG
    507.8 KB · Views: 224
  • B3B.JPG
    B3B.JPG
    394 KB · Views: 209
  • B4B.JPG
    B4B.JPG
    502.2 KB · Views: 202
  • B6B.JPG
    B6B.JPG
    398.7 KB · Views: 231
  • B7B.JPG
    B7B.JPG
    369.7 KB · Views: 237

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What a job, just getting him there. What a beautiful Aldabra. Glad it was nothing big. Hope you watched real good. Next time you can do it:)

Mini

5 Year Member
Friendswood
wellington said:
What a job, just getting him there. What a beautiful Aldabra. Glad it was nothing big. Hope you watched real good. Next time you can do it:)

Thanks, I've only owned him 3 months and it was non stop cold fronts, Hard on both of us.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Yay! Great news!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mini said:
wellington said:

Thanks, I've only owned him 3 months and it was non stop cold fronts, Hard on both of us.

Probably harder on you then Buddy. This has been one unusual winter for everyone all over the country and even the world. Constant warm weather is coming, it has too:D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
He is abeautiful animal! Glad it was nothing serious. Like what you came up with for moving him. :)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Great news! ! ! !

So! ! ! !

Vet or a podiatrist?????

fukkatsu

5 Year Member
As a sulcata owner and driver of a Fiat 500 I find it reassuring that your aldabra fitted in your Mini :))

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Uhhh, may be a good time to research a good exotic reptile vet that is well, MOBILE....lol....eventually there is going to be no way to stuff that tort into a cooper....

Beautiful tory by the way and glad all worked out well....:D

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
fukkatsu said:
As a sulcata owner and driver of a Fiat 500 I find it reassuring that your aldabra fitted in your Mini :))

Thats funny. I once took my sulcata to the Vet in my 1963 ALFA Giulia Spider. Top was up, of course. He was still small back then and a cardboard box would hold him. I am not so sure I could still do that today. He is 18 inches long and weighs 40 pounds.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Mini said:
I've only owned him 3 months and it was non stop cold fronts, Hard on both of us.

* You should bring him to Florida, i know he would fit right in with my gang, LOL!

Mini

5 Year Member
Friendswood
ALDABRAMAN said:
Mini said:
I've only owned him 3 months and it was non stop cold fronts, Hard on both of us.

* You should bring him to Florida, i know he would fit right in with my gang, LOL!

It probably would be cheaper to fly him there for the winter months. haha

bouaboua said:
Great news! ! ! !

So! ! ! !

Vet or a podiatrist?????

Hmmm, don't know, but the vet bill was $520. 4 x-rays (2 on ea leg)
antibiotic injection, liquid pain medicine for 5 days and an extra fee of
$40 for the difficulty of sanding Buddys nails. He kept walking all over the rum... It was funny to watch.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
$40 for the difficulty of sanding Buddys nails. He kept walking all over the rum... It was funny to watch.

Then podiatrist it is. $40 is cheap. then you got to watch and enjoy the process. Good deal.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
I'm eager to know how you put him inside those straps.

And look at all those muscles while lifting him. He must be really heavy!

Well, really glad he just needed a quick fix from the doctor, even it costed quite a lot.

Mini

5 Year Member
Friendswood
Yellow Turtle said:
I'm eager to know how you put him inside those straps.

And look at all those muscles while lifting him. He must be really heavy!

Well, really glad he just needed a quick fix from the doctor, even it costed quite a lot.

Buddy weighs 140 pounds. He loves to have his shell rubbed, puts him in europhia, he stands straight up on his back legs, then front legs. So I just slide the harness right under him.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Your going to have to buy a small trailer . You can find a enclosed trailer cheap . Then hook it up to the car an go . To make life even easier you could make the trailer his little heated house . So that when he goes in at night his ready to go in the morning . I really need to load up and take you up on that offer to visit .

Found some pictures of a trailer just something to think about .

Attachments

• 1393816344908.jpg
    1393816344908.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 1393816357124.jpg
    1393816357124.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 80

Mini

5 Year Member
Friendswood
My Buddy has hurt leg and not pooping

2 problems...
1 - Buddy (140 pounds) somehow hurt his right rear leg. He can not support his weight on it while trying to walk. I took him to the vet two weeks ago and got 4 radiographs. His leg bones looked good, but because his mass is so thick, the vet could not see the hip socket joints well.

2 - Buddy is eating well, but only poops once every two weeks.
Since I got him December 10th last year, it has been non stop cold fronts and I have kept him boarded up with limited outside time.
The past 2 weeks have warmed up and I have had the vet give Buddy all sorts of stuff on the past 2 appointments. ($800. so far)
What should I do next? I've been soaking him in very warm water 2 hours each evening... still no poop. Aldabraman... need advice!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: My Buddy has hurt leg and not pooping

OMG, I am so sorry. I sure hope he just hurt his leg and nothing more serious. Good luck, I hope others might have some ideas for you. Good luck and keep us posted.