Aldabra Buddy Emergency Vet appt

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Aldabra Buddy - naked - CT scans !

Holy WOWSA. Poor buddy and your poor wallet! All to find out he really just needs to take few big poo's. But it's good to know it's nothing major! Hope he starts popping potatoes soon!

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
RE: Aldabra Buddy - naked - CT scans !

Man I've always wanted one but that vet bill is scary . I would keep your temperature a little higher in his night house to . With the weather we have been having he may not be warm enough .

Mini

5 Year Member
Friendswood

For the curious...
The size of Buddy potato on an 8" Dixie paper plate.

mike taylor said:
Man I've always wanted one but that vet bill is scary . I would keep your temperature a little higher in his night house to . With the weather we have been having he may not be warm enough .

I'm keeping his kennel around 80 deg F 24/7

Attachments

• buddy-potato.JPG
    buddy-potato.JPG
    772.3 KB · Views: 152

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
RE: Buddy - naked - CT scans !

Mini said:
wellington said:
Pretty cool. So what's the plan now? Did they give him anything to get him cleared out? How's he doing now? Sorry you had such an expense with him, so far, but so glad you care enough to go all out.

One vet suggested an enema, another said to keep soaking him in very warm water, which I have been the past 12 days and keep him moving.
Minus 1 or 2, can't get him in his tub when he won't go in. But once he's there, he stays for 1.5 to 2 hours.. I'm opting for the warm soaks first.
He is also getting mineral oil on his food. 3 vet bills so far... $1,600.
I'll take any donations... LOL

Buddy is lucky to have you as his owner.

I think a fund rise is in order.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

How old is buddy? Does he have lots of walking room and grazing area? Unfortunately this is a topic I brought up a few months maybe a year ago with the giant tortoises. When they get to a certain size and cant balance the intake versus walking/exercising routine, they can be victims of this issue. Not always. But I know a very knowledgeable Galapagos and Aldabra breeder at a zoo. You would be surprised naturally how they are kept and fed very little when kept in captivity.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Yes, exercise is a must for the big guys. And your tortoise's poop looks a bit dry too. Give him some wet greens to help moisten up what's in there.

Mini

5 Year Member
Friendswood

tortadise said:
How old is buddy? Does he have lots of walking room and grazing area? Unfortunately this is a topic I brought up a few months maybe a year ago with the giant tortoises. When they get to a certain size and cant balance the intake versus walking/exercising routine, they can be victims of this issue. Not always. But I know a very knowledgeable Galapagos and Aldabra breeder at a zoo. You would be surprised naturally how they are kept and fed very little when kept in captivity.

I got Buddy 3 months ago, then back to back cold fronts. I got him 3 weeks ahead of schedule from a friend of a friend that didn't know Buddy was an Aldabra. I spent $3,000 in supplies, kennel, shelter, boards, plywood, 100 # rubber mats, survailence cameras to watch over him, heaters, back up heaters, heat pads, etc... I promised her I would take good care of him. I leave work every day at 10 am to let him out on good days and give him his food. It's been tough on both of us.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club

It would not hurt to get his temperature up to 85 degrees . I have a 40 /40 enclosure for my sulcata but everyday I let him out to run around my yard . He will follow me as long as I have him a snack . You may try that to .

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

Mini said:
tortadise said:

I got Buddy 3 months ago, then back to back cold fronts. I got him 3 weeks ahead of schedule from a friend of a friend that didn't know Buddy was an Aldabra. I spent $3,000 in supplies, kennel, shelter, boards, plywood, 100 # rubber mats, survailence cameras to watch over him, heaters, back up heaters, heat pads, etc... I promised her I would take good care of him. I leave work every day at 10 am to let him out on good days and give him his food. It's been tough on both of us.

Ahh ok. Well your a great friend for doing so. I must say though exercise is a large portion of the giants metabolism. Also temperature. Chelonian(and a lot of reptiles) don't digest or process even antibiotics if their core temperature is not warm enough, it will fester in their gut and can cause serious issues. Even some grasses and plant matter can change gaseous matter in their gut and cause bloating, and pressure. Its a bit extreme really, but definitely a possibility of concern. Just make sure the temps are nice and warm for him, and feed maybe times a week. It seems very slim, but during winter months without grazing(walking and exercise) food everyday will just build up. And remember tortoises can most certainly get fat too. It just doesn't show like it would in humans(physically)

Mini

5 Year Member
Friendswood

Yvonne G said:
Yes, exercise is a must for the big guys. And your tortoise's poop looks a bit dry too. Give him some wet greens to help moisten up what's in there.

That potato pic was taken 8 hours after it was hatched.... hahaha

tortadise said:
Mini said:
tortadise said:

Ahh ok. Well your a great friend for doing so. I must say though exercise is a large portion of the giants metabolism. Also temperature. Chelonian(and a lot of reptiles) don't digest or process even antibiotics if their core temperature is not warm enough, it will fester in their gut and can cause serious issues. Even some grasses and plant matter can change gaseous matter in their gut and cause bloating, and pressure. Its a bit extreme really, but definitely a possibility of concern. Just make sure the temps are nice and warm for him, and feed maybe times a week. It seems very slim, but during winter months without grazing(walking and exercise) food everyday will just build up. And remember tortoises can most certainly get fat too. It just doesn't show like it would in humans(physically)

Thanks Kelly... I will do my best to care for him.

mike taylor said:
It would not hurt to get his temperature up to 85 degrees . I have a 40 /40 enclosure for my sulcata but everyday I let him out to run around my yard . He will follow me as long as I have him a snack . You may try that to .

Temp is at 85 now... also have remote digital thermometer and an infrared laser temp gun.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

How large of a yard would you say he has? Are you in a neighborhood or out on a piece of property?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida

Mini said:
treating him for respiratory issues

* Would you please share exactly what symptoms he had in relation to his respiratory issues?

Mini

5 Year Member
Friendswood

ALDABRAMAN said:
Mini said:
treating him for respiratory issues

* Would you please share exactly what symptoms he had in relation to his respiratory issues?

He had watery eyes and his nose was constantly dripping... a lot.

After the CT scan, the vet said his lungs were good. We are almost finished with 4 weeks if antiobitics. Two weeks using liquid Metacam. Ten days on Enrofloxacin. The vet said a lot of torts were coming in with these issues because of the long winter and warm to cold days fluctuating so much in the Houston area the past three months.

Mini

5 Year Member
Friendswood

Good news!!! Buddy dropped 3 more potatoes today and is almost walking normal. I kept him constantly moving Friday and today.
He's gonna be one sore tort tomorrow! hahaha

And... he got in his warm tub all by himself 2 night in a row. He won't get out until I drain the water. Love this guy... things are gonna work out!

Mini

5 Year Member
Friendswood
Aldabra Buddy his CT video'ed

While scanning through the 470+ images on my desktop, I took a video with my cell phone. It's a little fuzzy but incredible to see him from nose to tail.

I think this is how I am to post it... through my youtube link?

http://youtu.be/Mtg41SR8-V0

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

That's great!
What did you do keep him moving?
What is his yard like and how big is it?

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Aldabra Buddy - naked - CT scans !

Aww! [HEAVY BLACK HEART]️[TURTLE][HEAVY BLACK HEART]️[TURTLE]

Mini

5 Year Member
Friendswood

Team Gomberg said:
That's great!
What did you do keep him moving?
What is his yard like and how big is it?

I tap on the back of his shell and give him circular shell rubs. He loves it. Plus I put cherry tomatoes scattered all over the place and he kept looking for them.

His yard has two parts, one area is 6' x 50', other 16' x 60'.
My neighbor has a bigger yard and all augustine grass. Buddy will be there 8 hours a day, Friday thru Sunday.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: Aldabra Buddy his CT video'ed

At one point it almost looked like he's smiling. Its amazing how much air space there is in there.