Aldabra Giant Tortoise and Galapagos Giant Tortoise eggs

Xelioszzapporro

Location (City and/or State)
Panama
I am aware of the differences between Aldabra and Galapagos Giant Tortoises but I have 3 questions that I don't know

1. What is the incubation period of the eggs of those gigantic turtles ?

2. At what age they mate ?

3. Do the parents take care of them after they hatch ?

pacific chelonians

SanDiego California
Well if your planning on breeding them don’t even think about it not to be rood this is a safe space but there are pretty much no tortoises or reptiles that care for there young most need to be about 25years old minimum but size is more important as for your first question I’ll let someone who actually works with them answer that

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am aware of the differences between Aldabra and Galapagos Giant Tortoises but I have 3 questions that I don't know

1. What is the incubation period of the eggs of those gigantic turtles ?

2. At what age they mate ?

3. Do the parents take care of them after they hatch ?
1. Depends on temperature, but around 100-110 days.
2. Do you want to know when they mate, or when they can produce offspring? Young males often begin "mating" long before they can actually get the job done. The youngest Galapagos that I have heard of producing babies was a 17 year old male. The females were older. The youngest Aldabra was a 13 year old female.
3. The parents do not offer any care for the babies or eggs. The females lay the eggs and then walk away.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Does their gender depends on temperature ? Or does this only apply to the Sea Turtles ?
All turtles and tortoises are temperature sex dependent, but few of them have been studied with lab accuracy, so the temps for most are not known. We know sulcatas and Galapagos because both have been studied extensively. I don't know of any others that have been studied.

I think all reptiles are temperature sex dependent, but there may be some exception that I am not aware of. I'm hesitant to say "all", but I will say "at least most, and probably all".