Aldabra Ramp? Possible? (for Uncle Bri)

ben awes

5 Year Member
My Aldabra is just 16 months old, but I am planning way ahead (well, considering how fast these guys grow, I only have a few years.)

Over the next few years I am transforming the end of our basement for his indoor enclosure. This end of the house is directly adjacent to the back yard which will become his outdoor enclosure.

One idea that I am serious about is building a ramp from the basement to the backyard. It would be between 4 and 5 feet wide and between 20 and 22' long. The question is the slope of the ramp. At the length I am talking it would be about a 3 in 12 slope. I think that is too steep. How steep is "easily" managed by an Aldabra? I like the ramp idea not only for my safety and Uncle Bri's safety, but also for his exercise. I can extend the ramp further into the backyard to reduce the angle of the slope, but what do people think? Is it more difficult for a giant tort to manage slopes than smaller torts?

Aldabraman - do yours ever manage elevation change? Could they handle a slope? Have you ever considered ramped grade in your enclosure?

Thanks, Ben

ben awes

5 Year Member
Here is quick diagram of a possible ramp. Could an aldabra manage a 2:12 slope?

2zssj8l.jpg

Urtle

5 Year Member
Im no expert on Aldabra's. They are big but i can imagine they are just as strong.

Whats your biggest concern here?

ben awes

5 Year Member
Urtle said:
Im no expert on Aldabra's. They are big but i can imagine they are just as strong.

Whats your biggest concern here?

Well, my concern is that a ramp would be an unusual thing in their environment, and torts don't tend to go where they are not comfortable. The ramp would need to be something they don't mind and is not a discouragement to get to the space on either side. If is too narrow or too steep i would think they would not want to use it.

justino4444

5 Year Member
My tort had a ramp and wouldn't use it so I led him with food and then he would go up all the time

ben awes

5 Year Member
justino4444 said:
My tort had a ramp and wouldn't use it so I led him with food and then he would go up all the time

I have always had ramps for my Leopard torts and they go up and down no problem, but I never had one long enough where you could not see whats on the the other side. Food is always that great motivator!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
ben awes said:
Aldabraman - do yours ever manage elevation change? Could they handle a slope?

* Yes, we have a significant elevation change from the natural ground level into the inside of the barn. The main entrance has ramps, a decent incline, in order to allow the Aldabras to access in and out without the steep drop off. They have no issues with inclines going in or out. The main issues we noticed was with a steep drop off was that the rear plastron would some times rub or bump without a slopped ramp. I designed mine out of wood and used cross boards for extra grip and avoids any type of slipping or sliding as the tortoise inclines or declines.

2m6k7pg.jpg

v63f2x.jpg

ben awes said:
Well, my concern is that a ramp would be an unusual thing in their environment

* This is a common thing for many keepers, honestly i have never seen any issues with a ramp. Ours adjusted quickly and was never even a slight concern for them!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My Aldabran ramp isn't as steep as yours, only going up about a foot from ground level, but I used cinder blocks and bricks, then filled it all in with dirt and grass is growing on it. They have no trouble going in and out of their shed. I'll get a picture of the ramp tomorrow when it's light.

I had to go out there and shut their shed door, so I took the camera with me. Even with the flash, its pretty dark. Looking straight down on it:

aldabranrampa_zps6b8fc15e.jpg

...and from the side:

aldabranrampb_zps2791d64a.jpg

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
My sulcata has a ramp to get in and out of his little house . As long as you put something so they don't slide lick grip tape or cross boards you will be fine .

Attachments

• 1389579203367.jpg
    1389579203367.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 138

ben awes

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback and that you all are not concerned about a ramp. I am proposing a 30 FOOT ramp though - which is much greater than anything I've seen yet. Heck, 30' is so long that by the time they get halfway they might forget why they went in the first place and try and turn around!

Mini

5 Year Member
Friendswood
I have to laugh here... my 140 pound aldabra is climbing my 80 degree landscape wall stones and climbed
up my wire kennel, straight up. Not that this is a safe thing. I have since bought plexiglass, cut and fit it on all my
kennel panels. I have only had him one month and every week has been a new challange keeping him safe.
My "Buddy" His name) thinks he's Spider man.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Mini said:
my 140 pound aldabra is climbing my 80 degree landscape wall stones and climbed up my wire kennel, straight up.

* Can you please post pictures of your setup and Buddy?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mini said:
I have to laugh here... my 140 pound aldabra is climbing my 80 degree landscape wall stones and climbed
up my wire kennel, straight up. Not that this is a safe thing. I have since bought plexiglass, cut and fit it on all my
kennel panels. I have only had him one month and every week has been a new challange keeping him safe.

It's because your tortoise is new to you. He's still trying to get back to his original territory. Once he settles in he'll quit climbing. I have had my two for 14 years, since they were hatchlings, and they have never offered to climb anything.

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Homestead ,FL
ben awes said:
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback and that you all are not concerned about a ramp. I am proposing a 30 FOOT ramp though - which is much greater than anything I've seen yet. Heck, 30' is so long that by the time they get halfway they might forget why they went in the first place and try and turn around!

If there is food, water, and sunshine outside- you can be sure they will climb the ramp. Tortoises have a pretty good memory for location of resources. I feel like I may have read a study somewhere of tortoises remembering their way thru a maze.As far as the mental aspect, I think they will be fine with it. The physical aspect should no be a problem either. Check out Aldabra Gregs photos of his giant torts mounting one another... that takes more effort than walking 30' up a sloped ramp. Also Sam in Ft. Lauderdale had a video somewhere of his aldabras climbing over a low fence or gate or something - in order to get to an area where different grasses were growing (it's always greener on the other side). Anyway... the exercise will be good for them. Good luck.!

ben awes

5 Year Member
Mini said:

Yes, we HAVE to see this Buddy! How old, what are his dimensions? And thanks for jumping in with this anecdote!

Jemo

10 Year Member!
Germany
View attachment 67607View attachment 67608View attachment 67609

This is our 110 kg (220 Pound) female aldabra, we keep her and 5 others of similar sice since many years in the same Environment.

Last Year she startet climbing up the Bed and resting (and unfortunatly more) up there.

Outside also she likes climbing up and down a 50 cm high step for a long time, again and again.

greetings

Jemo

Last edited by a moderator:

ben awes

5 Year Member
Jemo said:
This is our 110 kg (220 Pound) female aldabra, we keep her and 5 others of similar sice since many years in the same Environment.

Last Year she startet climbing up the Bed and resting (and unfortunatly more) up there.

Outside also she likes climbing up and down a 50 cm high step for a long time, again and again.

greetings

Jemo

OK - WOW! This gives me great hope that Uncle Bri will be fine with a ramp. (now, just to train him well enough to come and go when I need him to!). I love the curiosity displayed here. A BED! what in the world! I does look like there is some opportunity for injury with all the places to stick an appendage, but the exercise must be great for her. Thanks for sharing these.

Jemo

10 Year Member!
Germany
When they WANT to go somewhwhere, it is no matter if there is something on the way. They will climb everything.

once more the big female
K800_winter2012 (71).JPG

and a Youngster Training his climbing abilities
K800_P1060219.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: