ALDABRA TORTOISE BREEDER

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
~ He has adjusted exceptionally and is doing fantastic at our program. He still seems nervous around small people, we figure it is possibly some sort of memory or imprint related to his years at the zoo.

View attachment 230600
Probably scarred by psychotic children whose parents do not discipline them enough! :p

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Probably scarred
~ When we brought Alfa to his new home, he was very taken back and seemed off kilter. Being in the zoo for many years and now at our program he had an adjustment period coming for sure. We were very concerned, one thing was he was not sure about the shade areas so we managed him very closely for some time and gave him many cooling showers. Getting him prompted us to make a bigger barn.
IMG_4260.JPG IMG_4266.JPG IMG_5460.JPG IMG_5479.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
What was he or wasn't he doing that the Zoo vets labeled him as depressed?
The way tortoises are to begin with, slow, sleeps a lot, doesn't really "play", etc. I find it hard to notice a depressed one.

~ Great question, the zoo owner gave us his vet records and he had labelled him as that with no other notes or explanations. We did ask and did not get anything of value as an answer. I spent two solid days in the corral with all three males prior to picking him, we had our choice of one out of the three. I tried my hard to convince him to sell us two or all three, not a chance. Anyway, during my time with them at the corral in the zoo, they all three seemed sluggish and kinda non responsive to touch. I think they had a high tolerance level from all the kid parties, etc. They truly did not seem happy, none of them. One seemed more active, however he had much shell rot and that concerned us. I will say that Alfa seems very happy any way more active these days. He perks up and always relishes his treats and showers.
IMG_3507.JPG IMG_3499.JPG
DSCN4330.JPG DSCN4328.JPG

Last edited: