Aldabra tortoise - false information?

spoilers

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Ohio
hi, Someone posted an Aldabra tort for sale on craigslist and I want to ensure they aren't giving false information out. I feel bad for this tort and want to make sure it gets a good forever home, something that won't happen if they lie about her size and sell it to someone who is uninformed about the species. They only have one picture of the bottom of the tort and it is about the size of a ruler (URL below). they claim it is 9yrs old. Could someone inform me a little bit? roughly at what age is an Aldabra fully grown? I know they get to be over 500 lbs. but the person insists they grow extremely slowly and wont reach full growth for a really long time. I just wanted an expert's opinion on the matter.

https://richmondin.craigslist.org/pet/d/full-grown-aldabra-tortoise/6684433038.html

Alaskamike

South Florida
There are no other pics? I can’t imagine a 9 yo Aldabra being that small. Certainly even if it was 50-60lbs it would not be considered “ full grown “ at 9.

The only way to know what’s going on here is to visually inspect the tortoise in person. A few things about this ad don’t add up.

spoilers

5 Year Member
Southwest Ohio
That's what I was thinking, they just have the one pic of the tort on its back. I did contact them being interested in the tort and they said it isn't done growing but it looks a little small for being 9 yrs old to me. but again I don't know much about Aldabra torts or how fast they grow.

Alaskamike

South Florida
That's what I was thinking, they just have the one pic of the tort on its back. I did contact them being interested in the tort and they said it isn't done growing but it looks a little small for being 9 yrs old to me. but again I don't know much about Aldabra torts or how fast they grow.
You can’t be sure from that photo this is an Aldabra.

spoilers

5 Year Member
Southwest Ohio
You can’t be sure from that photo this is an Aldabra.

Also thought that too. due to the info they gave. I asked for more pics but they blew off the request. I just don't want this tort mistreated, I feel so bad for it!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They grow at different rates for a lot of different reasons. It is possible that this tortoise is nine years old, but that would mean it has been fed and cared for poorly. They appear to be feeding it incorrectly.

I don't know where on earth they got the idea that it is "full grown" either at that size or that age.

Are they asking for money? It might be a stolen tortoise and they are trying to make a quick buck.

spoilers

5 Year Member
Southwest Ohio
I’d rather you wouldn’t. Scam artist use other ppls pics to falsely advertise. Don’t want to give them ammo to defraud someone else.

Oh ok, I understand. I won't. I didn't think of it like that. I wouldn't want your beautiful tort to be the face of a scam. What do you think I should do? Should call them out on their sham of a post???

spoilers

5 Year Member
Southwest Ohio
They grow at different rates for a lot of different reasons. It is possible that this tortoise is nine years old, but that would mean it has been fed and cared for poorly. They appear to be feeding it incorrectly.

I don't know where on earth they got the idea that it is "full grown" either at that size or that age.

Are they asking for money? It might be a stolen tortoise and they are trying to make a quick buck.

They want $380 for it. That is Extremely cheap for the species compared to what I researched...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They want $380 for it. That is Extremely cheap for the species compared to what I researched...
Definitely a scam of sort sort, but we don't have enough info to know what kind. I bet its stolen, due to the posters ignorance about the species. People who buy an aldabra know what it is, what it eats, how big they get, and what they are worth. Sad, if this is the case. I hope they get caught and prosecuted for animal cruelty and grand theft.

spoilers

5 Year Member
Southwest Ohio
Definitely a scam of sort sort, but we don't have enough info to know what kind. I bet its stolen, due to the posters ignorance about the species. People who buy an aldabra know what it is, what it eats, how big they get, and what they are worth. Sad, if this is the case. I hope they get caught and prosecuted for animal cruelty and grand theft.

So should I just leave this alone and not get involved? should I call them out on the sham? I don't know what to do at this point I've never been in this situation before. I feel bad for the tort in this situation but I don't want to buy it a fuel the potential for more scams. Even if I did buy it I have nowhere near the space needed to keep one in the long run if it actually is an Aldabra.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh ok, I understand. I won't. I didn't think of it like that. I wouldn't want your beautiful tort to be the face of a scam. What do you think I should do? Should call them out on their sham of a post???
I sent them an email.

In my opinion, they're trying to make money. They're hoping a buyer with rub his hands together to try to take advantage of this ignorant seller and get an aldabra tortoise for cheap. They'll probably take the money and run.

spoilers

5 Year Member
Southwest Ohio
I sent them an email.

In my opinion, they're trying to make money. They're hoping a buyer with rub his hands together to try to take advantage of this ignorant seller and get an aldabra tortoise for cheap. They'll probably take the money and run.

Thanks so much for emailing them! I just really hope the tort is ok. I honestly wasn't even interested in owning an Aldabra, Just a bit too much turtle for me. I've only ever cared for Russians lol. I was just concerned about it! I was debating on buying it and giving it to a local reptile shelter near me so it could be properly cared for but again, I don't want to fuel potential for another scam.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Some scammers steal photos to use as their own in an attempt to get victims to send them money before receiving the tortoise (never allowing potential buyers to see the tortoise for themselves first). Then the scammer is gone like the wind!