Aldabra tortoise laying eggs @ ALDABRAMAN

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
So interesting being able to see the eggs descend in the tail!

Dose you being there not bother the female? My sulcata females don't like if I come around when they are laying.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
So cool!
I wonder if aldabras as a species are more talerant or if it has more to do with the amout of time you spend with your group

~ Actually female aldabra tortoise are usually very shy and reclusive compared to the males. Our constant close daily activities and interactions with them may have some influence with them during the egg laying event, however we have several that are always nervous and we simply stay clear until they are completed.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
Do you find that the female shyness extends to young tortoises? I guess that may be a hard one to know for sure.
Sorry I'm just fascinated by aldabras and super excited to finally have one after years of wanting so now I want to know everything haha

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Do you find that the female shyness extends to young tortoises? I guess that may be a hard one to know for sure.
Sorry I'm just fascinated by aldabras and super excited to finally have one after years of wanting so now I want to know everything haha

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions!

~ Yes is the short answer, however if you really watch them closely there are signs and small indicators that seem to reflect possible male or female.