Aldabra tortoise with sunken in eye

pacific chelonians

Location (City and/or State)
SanDiego California
I saw this add for Aldabras going to go take a look at them is the what could cause it I attached a copy of the listing

I am offering a trio of young approximately 8 year old Aldabra Tortoises.
Great investment, value goes up as they grow bigger. Can be Monster sized in just another 10 years.
All clear nostrils, all can and do stand and walk tall. All used to Southern California sunshine. Have been on Commercial Tortoise pellets and mostly Orchid grass.
They have been together over the last 7 years. I can ship via Delta Airlines airport to airport.
Over the last 30 years I have sold 100's of babies. Many of those are offered back to us as they grow Monster size. We NEVER mix with other tortoise species.

#22M ) 22 x 14 x 12 "slight" early pyramided shell growth all new growth good
most likely due to shape of shell and tail a male, typical split scoot above
tail area

#20FX ) 20 x 14 x 12 extra scoots ( maybe 2 ) 95% guess female

#20EI) sex unknown, has eye issue, sunken in farther then normal, has been
that way last 8 years
20 x 15 x 12 Most likely a female

$23K for the group of 3 shipping included. ( discount for local pick-up )
Can be seen in North San Diego County by appointment

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Maybe a birth defect or an injury as a hatchling?

Personally, I would be leary of a 30 year breeder that doesn't know how to spell "scutes".

Be very careful. When you go, listen to your gut. If something doesn't feel right, don't do it.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I saw this add for Aldabras going to go take a look at them is the what could cause it I attached a copy of the listing

Great investment, value goes up as they grow bigger. Can be Monster sized in just another 10 years.
All clear nostrils, all can and do stand and walk tall. All used to Southern California sunshine. Have been on Commercial Tortoise pellets and mostly Orchid grass.
They have been together over the last 7 years. I can ship via Delta Airlines airport to airport.
Over the last 30 years I have sold 100's of babies. Many of those are offered back to us as they grow Monster size. We NEVER mix with other tortoise species.

tail area

that way last 8 years

Do you realize that you could buy Aldabras with perfect shells and no eye problems from ads on Kingsnake or Fauna? Also are you aware of how large these guys get? You will need a lot of space to keep even one Aldabra in good shape.

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
Wow, $23k for 3 Aldabras? Is that considered a fair asking price in the states?

Here in the Indonesia they are the most expensive torts I have seen on the market (excluding novelty torts such as albino two headed's etc) but asking prices are between $1k and $2k depending on size and shell pattern.

Unfortunately it would never be ethical to buy here, as Indonesia only protects local species. Foreign endangered species are not regulated and perfectly legal to own, even if they are from less than legit origins.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Here in the Indonesia they are the most expensive torts I have seen on the market (excluding novelty torts such as albino two headed's etc) but asking prices are between $1k and $2k depending on size and shell pattern.

Unfortunately it would never be ethical to buy here, as Indonesia only protects local species. Foreign endangered species are not regulated and perfectly legal to own, even if they are from less than legit origins.
Hatchling Aldabras are 2k. Full grown adults are around 25k each if not more.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

tail area

that way last 8 years

I think the price sounds fair. Just remember you need lots of room for them and you have too provide a barn/hide for them that can be heated when needed. Also a very sturdy fence. They don't seem to be as destructive as a sulcata seems to be but they are/get big and are still strong.
Really check them out. Their diet the guy listed is not great.

zovick

10 Year Member!

From the way your post is worded, I am not sure if you are aware that Aldabra Tortoises are not considered endangered. Their conservation status is listed as "Vulnerable" which is one level below endangered.

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
From the way your post is worded, I am not sure if you are aware that Aldabra Tortoises are not considered endangered. Their conservation status is listed as "Vulnerable" which is one level below endangered.
You're right, it was a wrong assumption. Thanks for letting me know.

pacific chelonians

SanDiego California
Update
So I went and picked her up she’s around 20 inches The eye issue is definitely from a birth defect she has a perfect shell and seems to be healthy and for 4000 I think I got a pretty good deal

C762028C-6553-46AF-8A1B-20CF77205765.jpeg

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
no
Update
So I went and picked her up she’s around 20 inches The eye issue is definitely from a birth defect she has a perfect shell and seems to be healthy and for 4000 I think I got a pretty good deal

What kind of habitat do you have set up for these? Did you also buy the other two?

pacific chelonians

SanDiego California
I have a 1 acre area that is quite bumpy and hilly with lots of terrain I only have one right now but I’m planning to go get another one in A few months and I have wallowing pits And heated houses plus in Southern California it’s not that cold right now

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I think if I'm going to pay $23,000 for 3 torts, I'm not going to look for them in the classifieds, no matter what type of tort they are. But that's just me. If you're going to check on their health status, that's a good thing.
And I certainly would expect that for that price they are perfect. We have Aldab breeders here, for that kinda money I'd get a well known breeder from us, a know quantity, don't buy from a stranger. You'll be sorry

pacific chelonians

SanDiego California
The other 2 were in good condition as well I wanted to just buy the one for now because of the price the other 2 where owner 2times as much if she is still doing great in a few months I will be looking to get her a friend but as of now she has been stoked and is already mowing down the grass and Missouri only had her for a day but she love back scratch’s will keep you guys updated but until then thank you

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
Aldabras are fun to have, they are quite a bit of personality and one of the tortoises that you can have more than one together.