Aldabra tortoises breeder ? No ! Aldabra tortoises abusement !

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
Hello my tortoise friends. I am interested in buying an Aldabra tortoise. In Germany it is difficult to get one and expensive too. During my search I`ve found this report on Youtube. Unfortunately it is in German, so I`ve tried to summerize for my English speaking forum members some things that are spoken during the report.

I was shocked when I saw that video. Thinking of the beautiful place and space the Aldabra tortoises of our member @ALDABRAMAN have in Florida.
Stefan Broghammer ( the commentator of the report ) is a German reptile seller. He sells Aldabra tortoises too that he get`s from the "breeder" on the island of Mehé of the Seychelles islands.
The "breeder`s" name is Albert. He is the man in the short jeans trousers.
It is said that Albert got the tortoises from his father who was a "breeder" too.
I hate to use the word breeder when thinking of the bad circumstances in which these tortoises have to live !
Here is the video:

These are some main things that are mentioned in the report:

- 80 adult tortoises ( 40 males and 40 females ) are living in that small area. Some should be 100 years old, others are younger.
- the number of fertile eggs are not high although the males often mate with the females !!!
- in the round concrete pen are the younger tortoises ( 15-20 years old )
- the adult tortoises are only fed 3 times a week !!!
- Albert said that on the inhabited islands of the Seychelles Aldabra tortoises no longer live in the wild. Only in captivity !
- Only on the Aldabra atoll are wild and free living Aldabra tortoises now.
- in the small, dark cage ( report minute 35 ) live young tortoises from 10-15 years
- in the plastic tubes are the babies ( 38 minute of the report )

I think the "breeder" makes a lot of money with these poor abused tortoises. That is no life, it is suffering in my opinion.
Have you seen one drop of water ? I haven`t ! No water to drink, no water to bath..... Even the babies have no water.
The tortoises are fed with a plant that the "breeder" gets for free because the plant grows on the banks of the lagoon.
He feeds no minerals, no calcium. Only a few snails that are living in the plants he feeds.
It is interesting that the shells of the tortoises look so good and mostly smooth despite these circumstances.
When I want to buy such a baby tortoise from there I have to pay 2900 Euros in Germany ( 3300 US dollar )
But do I want an animal that is "produced" under these conditions ? I don`t know. I am not sure.

It makes me sad to see the adult tortoises living in that small area totally overcrowded and underfed with no water during their whole life.
And it makes me sad that these beautiful tortoises only live in the wild on one last island of their natural habitat.

When you have a special question what is said in the report please tell me the minute of the report you mean and I will translate the German language in English.
Thank you for you interest.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We have a member that I'm 99% sure lives in Germany. He has I think at least 3 aldabras maybe 4. He houses them in a beautiful greenhouse type atrium with a pond and rocks, etc. very out doorsy natural looking. I think they can go outside when it's warm or the ceiling opens up. It's beautiful.
Now I have no idea if he breeds them or not, but if @jaizei can find who I'm talking about, that would be a good place too start.
(Jaizei usually can find anything, I can't.)
If the guy in the vid is the only other option you have, that's tuff. On one hand you want one, on the other hand your supporting a bad breeder and animal care taker.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
We have a member that I'm 99% sure lives in Germany. He has I think at least 3 aldabras maybe 4. He houses them in a beautiful greenhouse type atrium with a pond and rocks, etc. very out doorsy natural looking. I think they can go outside when it's warm or the ceiling opens up. It's beautiful.
Now I have no idea if he breeds them or not, but if @jaizei can find who I'm talking about, that would be a good place too start.
If the guy in the vid is the only other option you have, that's tuff. On one hand you want one, on the other hand your supporting a bad breeder and animal care taker.

You are talking about @Jemo ?

post here showing enclosure: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/i-dont-know-how-you-cold-weather-people-do-it.107671/#post-1003313

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, this is not the right one. But another source to consider.
The person I'm talking about posted pics of his tortoises inside a big glassed in terrarium type room. With a floor that kinda look like it was a rock looking material, a wadding pool right in the floor and even I think big boulders in the room.
The whole room or most of it glass and was connected to their home.

N

no one

That is horrible!!!

I am aware of one breeder in Germany that has Aldabra young ones. I can give you his facebook page if you like. But I have never been to his place personally. Maybe you have already checked him out yourself.

Bee62

Germany
The member with the greenhouse is Jemo. I have contacted him a few months ago but his tortoises are too young for breeding.
I have time to search for an aldabra tortoise. It is difficult to get one here. Supporting a bad breeder is not my intention but I think all aldabra tortoises that are available in Germany are imported.:(

Bee62

Germany
No, this is not the right one. But another source to consider.
The person I'm talking about posted pics of his tortoises inside a big glassed in terrarium type room. With a floor that kinda look like it was a rock looking material, a wadding pool right in the floor and even I think big boulders in the room.
The whole room or most of it glass and was connected to their home.
I have unfortunately no idea which member this could be you are thinking about.

Bee62

Germany
That is horrible!!!

I am aware of one breeder in Germany that has Aldabra young ones. I can give you his facebook page if you like. But I have never been to his place personally. Maybe you have already checked him out yourself.
Hello Debora, I would be glad when you can tell me the facebook page of this breeder. I don`t know him.
Thank you for your help.