Aldabra vs Galapagos Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radiated

5 Year Member
Hey,
Just wondering what the differences are between the two species (Galapagos and Aldabra Tortoise) Which ones are better.

Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Poor choice of words...there is no "better" when you're talking tortoise. I love all of them!

They both grow very large. They're both very calm and gentle. They're both just absolutely beautiful!

FADE2BLACK_1973

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Well they are both from 2 different Islands, aldabra's are much easier to find for sale and alot cheaper compare to an galapapos. Btw, there is a member that is an Aldabra breeder :).

Radiated

5 Year Member
Was thinking about purchasing a Galapagos tortoise, but not sure how to tell the difference...
Which of them are smoother, and which looks better
I know they all look very beautiful

Thanks for the Info

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi...what a fun adventure of a question....my only reply would be;

Research! :D and I say this because before you purchase either you really really really need to have solid knowledge on at least basic facts and excellent husbandry techniques ......these are a huge species to raise and care for and I believe you should know the simple facts about both before you make the choice...IMHO that is :D

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
They're both awesome tortoises. I would love to own an aldabra, but my stupid climate just doesn't agree. On the physical side, Galapagos torts lack a nuchal scute while aldabras have one, though 1.34% of aldabras lack a nuchal scute. Galaps also tend to be more outgoing, though this varies with each individual tortoise.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
ascott said:
Hi...what a fun adventure of a question....my only reply would be;

Research! :D and I say this because before you purchase either you really really really need to have solid knowledge on at least basic facts and excellent husbandry techniques ......these are a huge species to raise and care for and I believe you should know the simple facts about both before you make the choice...IMHO that is :D

DITTO DITTO DITTO!!!!
read, educate and research.. GO visit those that have them and see what thier care requires First hand.. I highly recommend this with sulcatas as well. They are awsome.. but not for everyone!

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Rustyiron said:
I didn't know you can buy a Gala? wow, cool.

You can't. They're under very intense government protection and are only sold to zoos and educational institutions. Plus, the Galapagos are a very fragile archipelago and we should NEVER remove anything from it.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
you CAN buy them... but you need LOTS of money.. we have a member here that has one..
kingsnake.com go see if they currently have any...

FADE2BLACK_1973

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Laura said:
you CAN buy them... but you need LOTS of money.. we have a member here that has one..

Yep there is someone sellin a herd of Galapagos but you have to have a certain permit in order to buy and own even just one. The breeder that I bought Spike from has afew large adult Galapagos and they are just awesome to watch. But they are in Southern Florida, on a large farm, and the breeders have strict permits to own them.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
FADE2BLACK_1973 said:
Laura said:

Yep there is someone sellin a herd of Galapagos but you have to have a certain permit in order to buy and own even just one. The breeder that I bought Spike from has afew large adult Galapagos and they are just awesome to watch. But they are in Southern Florida, on a large farm, and the breeders have strict permits to own them.

I was told that three Galop hatchlings just sold for $5000 each. I know of two sources that have breeding Galops and they are both in Florida.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can buy Galops with no permits whatsoever. If you want to cross state lines with one, then you need a Captive Bred Wildlife Permit. Aldabras reproduce better in captivity so far, so they are more available than Galops. Very few people have produced very few Galop babies in this country and so the price is very high. I have been around adults of both and in GENERAL I find their personalities to be similar. They will both grow up to be smooth, if they are raised correctly. I think they are both great tortoises. Personally, since they will have to be outdoors as much as possible, I would consider my climate in my choice. Aldabs do better with lots of humidity and Galops can handle the dry better, from what I have been told.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
tortoises101 said:
Rustyiron said:
I didn't know you can buy a Gala? wow, cool.

You can't. They're under very intense government protection and are only sold to zoos and educational institutions. Plus, the Galapagos are a very fragile archipelago and we should NEVER remove anything from it.

That's alot of misinformation there.......

Any member of the Public can buy/sell/trade/ and or possess any type of Galop........A CBW Permit is needed to sell across State lines, but that isn't hard to acquire, and no different than any other ESA listed animal.....

FADE2BLACK_1973

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Oh I really thought you had to have a certain permit to own them also and not just a transporting permit. New news to me. But still awhole lot of money plus more for supplying a large year round warm to hot outside enclosure and food. I dont think they are for anyone. A huge responsiblitiy owning a Galapagos.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
FADE2BLACK_1973 said:
Oh I really thought you had to have a certain permit to own them also and not just a transporting permit. New news to me. But still awhole lot of money plus more for supplying a large year round warm to hot outside enclosure and food. I dont think they are for anyone. A huge responsiblitiy owning a Galapagos.

Did you mean to say that you don't think they are for EVERYONE? I would agree with that fully.

If you meant to say they are not for ANYONE, then we are going to have to disagree. I know lots of people and facilities that are very well suited to house Galops. A good friend had one in his back yard for several years.

Yes, definitely a HUGE responsibility.

yarok

5 Year Member
Wow that is great. I always thought galops were endangered and illegal to posses.

netz67

5 Year Member
u.k
i am quite shocked as to the fact Galapagos tortoise's are available i thought they were a protected species :-(
i would love to be in a position to own enough land to have these and aldabrans strolling round sadly not in my life time , dont hink the uk is quite the right climate a tad chilly

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
ALDABRAMAN said:
I was told that three Galop hatchlings just sold for $5000 each. I know of two sources that have breeding Galops and they are both in Florida.

Hey ALDABRAMAN! my mom is dying to know: How much does your biggest Aldabra weigh?

Status
Not open for further replies.