Aldabras and hay

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
At what age do Aldabras typically begin eating hay?
I was just told this last weekend that they generally don't start eating it dry and on their own until they are around 100 pounds.

However, you can start them yourself earlier. I've done this with young sulcatas and it should work for any larger species.

1. Feed them whatever else they eat on a bed of grass hay.
2. Get some scissors and chop up some grass hay super fine into small pieces. Orchard grass hay is best, but Bermuda hay works too. Soak the chopped up hay in warm water for an hour or more. Then mix it in with the day's other foods. Start with just a small amount at first. Gradually add more and more.

rmn813

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
I was just told this last weekend that they generally don't start eating it dry and on their own until they are around 100 pounds.

However, you can start them yourself earlier. I've done this with young sulcatas and it should work for any larger species.

1. Feed them whatever else they eat on a bed of grass hay.
2. Get some scissors and chop up some grass hay super fine into small pieces. Orchard grass hay is best, but Bermuda hay works too. Soak the chopped up hay in warm water for an hour or more. Then mix it in with the day's other foods. Start with just a small amount at first. Gradually add more and more.

Thank you Tom!

lazybfarm

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Alabama
Mine are @ 6 lbs and they will eat orchard grass hay. I stopped putting it in their enclosures because I thought it kept them from eating the other foods I put in. My 1 lb sulcata also will eat it too, I catch him with hay hanging out of his mouth all the time. They all like to hide in it

Reactions: Tom

lazybfarm

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Alabama
Oh yeah, I did it just like Tom described .
You really can’t go wrong with Toms advice on anything tortoise ?

ben awes

5 Year Member
At what age do Aldabras typically begin eating hay?

I am no expert but I have a number of years of experience. I have been raising my Aldabras for 7 years, and I raised Leopard Tortoises for 10 years before that. They ALL have been raised on hay from the day I got them. With my Aldabras, that's approx. 6 months and 1 pound. My adult leopards I raised from 4" as well, and I hatched dozens of babies - all from birth on hay. I've always mixed in a little Mazuri, but they can't eat that without eating the hay. If that's all there is to eat, then that's what they eat. Tough love. My guys love hay. I chopped it up a lot for the babies, and always soak it so that it smells rich and provides water. For my big guys (largest is 150lbs) I still cut it up into pieces a few inches long and still give it to them wet. They come running for it in the morning.

rmn813

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Interesting. Appreciate the insight. I'm going to start mixing it with other items on the next feedings. I'll share their reactions.

rmn813

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
I soaked a good helping of Orchid Grass hay for a couple of hours and mixed a handful of dried rose hips. The Aldabras couldn't get enough! No hesitation at all. Incidentally, my Leopards liked it too. This type of hay is easy to find and easy to keep on hand especially during the winter season. This will further lessen the need for grocery store produce.

Chip0282

Semarang
How much hay will aldabra eat ? and should we throw away the leftover or tommorow they can eat it again ? im starting to sprinkle hay at my aldabra food, but like Tom said, it will need time before they want to eat pure hay.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How much hay will aldabra eat ? and should we throw away the leftover or tommorow they can eat it again ? im starting to sprinkle hay at my aldabra food, but like Tom said, it will need time before they want to eat pure hay.
If the hay is dry and not moldy, you can leave it out until it is all eaten.

How much they can eat depends on their size, their appetite, and what else they have to eat.