Aldabras

Status
Not open for further replies.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
This is an 8 yearl old Aldabra. It was raised from 4 inches to the 25inches pictured. 1/2 lb to 100lb.

Here's a couple of it's friends...

This is where they all live...

When you hear that knock you have to answer...

Ed

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Great pics Ed, I looooooove that Aldab! Those Leopards are pretty dang sexy too.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I'm sorry to say... those Leopards... are Sulcatas... in the rain.

Thanks.

Ed

JustAnja said:
Great pics Ed, I looooooove that Aldab! Those Leopards are pretty dang sexy too.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Ed, those tortoises are amazing.

It is so cute, on the first pic, the aldabra looks really proud :D.

Isa

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
That's a behavior mechanism which I don't really understand but I suspect it has to do with birds. I think they take that stance when being 'cleaned' but I don't really know.

Aldabras and Galaps both do this. If you lightly tap the top of the shell they raise up and freeze. They seem to like having their neck scratched. It's a very interesting behavior.

They are amazing and very unique.

Ed

Isa said:
Ed, those tortoises are amazing.

It is so cute, on the first pic, the aldabra looks really proud :D.

Isa

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Oh boy thats what I get for doing too many things at once! I really should pay better attention. lol *open mouth insert foot*

-EJ said:
I'm sorry to say... those Leopards... are Sulcatas... in the rain.

Thanks.

Ed

JustAnja said:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ed: Mine are also 8 years old, hatched in 2000. I've had them from a couple months old. Mine don't look quite as smooth as yours, though, but not too terribly pyramided. Mine still have that "baby mentality" that is, they lunge at you if you get too close, just like hatchlings do. I don't interact with mine, so they're not used to people touching them. Might end up being a mistake when they get really big!! Next time someone comes over I'll see if I can get a picture of them with a person for size comparison.

Yvonne

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Can I ask where you got hatchlings from in the states?

Did you get them from Bob?

I found that they have that behavior that you mention until they are about 20 lbs. It does seem to be a hard wired response both ways.

I'm very proud of their shape.

Ed

Hi Ed: Mine are also 8 years old, hatched in 2000. I've had them from a couple months old. Mine don't look quite as smooth as yours, though, but not too terribly pyramided. Mine still have that "baby mentality" that is, they lunge at you if you get too close, just like hatchlings do. I don't interact with mine, so they're not used to people touching them. Might end up being a mistake when they get really big!! Next time someone comes over I'll see if I can get a picture of them with a person for size comparison.

Yvonne

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
-EJ said:
Can I ask where you got hatchlings from in the states?

Did you get them from Bob?
Ed

No, they came from a dealer in New York. They were "supposedly" cb in czekeslovakia (spelling??)

Yvonne

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Ummm can I hire them for mowing??

You know it's really sad, when I look at the pictures and am envious of the nice low grass in the background. :D I think somebody has been spending way too much time hand cutting grass in her jungle...ummm I mean enclosures. :rolleyes::D

I really like the first picture, almost looks like it should be a statue and not real. :D All of them are great. Really enjoy the comments both you and Yvonne have made because I hadn't known about either of those behaviors.

hystrix

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ed, that is a gorgeous creature. Looking very handsome, both of you :D

8 years old, but still looks like a baby. How long does it take for them to reach adult size? Can you sex them at this size? Is she/he going to get, like 4-5 times bigger? No wonder you go through 50 lbs of Mazuri every two weeks..

Em

puredevonian

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oh my god they are just sooo georgous, it's an easy way to end up being single (lol)

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
COLLECTOR said:
Very nice

WOW!! What beautiful torts you have. Can't wait for mine to get bigger. My biggest Sulcata is only 20 lbs.

Where do you buy your Mazuri, in bulk, I assume?

Patsy

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Ed he is gorgeous. So regal looking in his scratch my neck stance :D .
And still just a wee 100lb baby.

rattboy

10 Year Member!
San Francisco, CA
Awesome looking creatures Ed. Its been a while since we chatted, probably just shortly after you moved from SD to the East side. I wanted to ask since you keep open outdoor runs in a wooded area, if you keep your smaller animals outside at night? Any predation issues to note?

I see some smaller animals in the background of one of the shots which are probably closer to the size of torts that I keep. I am about to build out some outdoor habitats and I am mixed about whether I secure them completely or not. Of course my locale is different (Northern Cali), however there are your usual crew of mammals and raptors in the area.

Yvonne, I am still coming to see you :) Jim won't make it though as he is far too busy.

Paul Rattay

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Hi Paul,

It has been a while.

The smallest tortoise is about 5 inches SCL.

I do have Raccoons, Foxes, Coyotes, Ferral Cats, Opposums, hawks...

My Rottie has a run of the yard. I suspect her peeing around the yard keeps the critters out. I did have one baby Leopard disappear when I first got here so since then I bring the smaller ones in at night.

Thanks.

Ed

rattboy said:
Awesome looking creatures Ed. Its been a while since we chatted, probably just shortly after you moved from SD to the East side. I wanted to ask since you keep open outdoor runs in a wooded area, if you keep your smaller animals outside at night? Any predation issues to note?

I see some smaller animals in the background of one of the shots which are probably closer to the size of torts that I keep. I am about to build out some outdoor habitats and I am mixed about whether I secure them completely or not. Of course my locale is different (Northern Cali), however there are your usual crew of mammals and raptors in the area.

Yvonne, I am still coming to see you :) Jim won't make it though as he is far too busy.

Paul Rattay

rattboy

10 Year Member!
San Francisco, CA
Although the area of my home is not heavily wooded, I'll probably go with the safest route possible to keep my conscience clear.

Thanks,
Paul

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My daughter came over today so I was able to get a couple pictures for you. My two Aldabran tortoises are also 8 years old. Their names are "The Bigger One" and "The Smaller One."

TheSmallerOne.jpg

TheBiggerOne.jpg

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.