Algae in water bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCobbler

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
Hi guys! So I made MoMo an outdoor enclosure at the beginning of summer. He's loved it so far and is definitely more energetic now that he's outdoors all day. However, I've noticed that there is algae growing in his water bowl. The bowl is a feeding dish from petsmart. I've been cleaning it every few days and tried switching bowls. Algae just grew on that one too. So I was wondering if there was any technique to stop algae growth or if algae growth was fine. Thanks!

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Northern California
Because soil gets dragged into my water bowls, I change mine daily. That seems to be the only sure way of preventing algae growth.

I'm sure in the wild that they drink from water sources that have algae, so I doubt its harmful. I think its unsightly though.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
A little algae from the sun is not going to harm your tortoise....I have one of my guys that won't drink from his dish unless it is a little green....LOL...

although I flush all of their dishes each day and I will take a little fingernail brush and scrub off the dishes about once a week my guy Haus just watches me in what appears to be disgust and circles me and his dish when I do that to his...so with his I simply apply pressure to the hose and spray out his dish really hard to get any loose stuff off and then will fill it back up with a little green still left....he likes it, does not hurt them...all is good :D

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
I am lucky in that I made RVs ceramic water dishes, and can put them in the kiln when I want to "hard" clean them. Otherwise I just apply pressure to the hose and blast off the scum that will come off, and the rest sits. RV doesn't seem to mind, either way.

TheCobbler

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
thanks guys. i do the hose pressure thing as well every day. it's good to know that i don't have to waste my time anymore. MoMo doesn't seem to mind the algae. but he eats his own poop too...so i just wanted to make sure

Status
Not open for further replies.