Alittle advice

Sou

Location (City and/or State)
Tunisia
Hi! I'm new over here in the tortoise world but i found this forum so usefull but i can't tell if it's a russian type or greek bith looks the same mostly. So i found my tortoise in the yard i put it in a medium size bird cage and fill it with soil i put a small place for her to cover up and a jar cap filled with warm water she seemed liking it there in the warm water i put some lettuce pieces there but she doesn't eat at all I don't know why help me with that how can i make her eat and she wants always to gout of the cage

20190312_225459.jpg 20190312_225459.jpg 20190312_225503.jpg 20190312_225508.jpg 20190312_225517.jpg

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Hi! I'm new over here in the tortoise world but i found this forum so usefull but i can't tell if it's a russian type or greek bith looks the same mostly. So i found my tortoise in the yard i put it in a medium size bird cage and fill it with soil i put a small place for her to cover up and a jar cap filled with warm water she seemed liking it there in the warm water i put some lettuce pieces there but she doesn't eat at all I don't know why help me with that how can i make her eat and she wants always to gout of the cage
Welcome to the Forum! Definitely not a Russian. Can you get a picture of the bottom of the tortoise? It could be a Testudo graeca (Greek Tortoise) but I need to see the belly to be sure. I see you're in Tunisia and there is a subspecies of Greek native to your area, Testudo graeca nabeulensis.

Is she from the wild? If she is. I would recommend releasing her back where you found her, or nearby in a safe location. Most countries have laws against taking tortoises from the wild because they are needed to help preserve their wild populations.

Sou

Tunisia
I found her in my back yard and it's not from the wild tho and nothing here is against taking tortoise xD

Attachments

• 20190313_160100.jpg
    20190313_160100.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 16

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

That's a baby Greek tortoise. It's hard to acclimate a wild tortoise to living in an enclosure, but your best bet is to get it out of the bird cage and make a regular enclosure for it. Try to make something that helps the tortoise feel like he's living in the real world, not locked up in a cage. Something like this:

Christmas tree bin-2.jpg

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
I found her in my back yard and it's not from the wild tho and nothing here is against taking tortoise xD
Definitely a Greek. If you plan on keeping it, here's a link to the hatchling care I do for my baby Greeks. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask and we'll help out the best we can.

https://sweetgreektorts.com/hatchling-husbandry

UK
Hi and welcome!

That's a baby Greek tortoise. It's hard to acclimate a wild tortoise to living in an enclosure, but your best bet is to get it out of the bird cage and make a regular enclosure for it. Try to make something that helps the tortoise feel like he's living in the real world, not locked up in a cage. Something like this:

View attachment 267178

Yvonne I Love your set up [emoji7]
Could u tell me what plants you have used and how they grow without soil?
It looks so nice!!!