All the Tort Q’s

Sugaratefang13

Location (City and/or State)
Reno, NV
So, new here and I have several questions.

Best substrate? Currently use Repti-Bark, a bit pricy though.

Suggestions/tips for his home? Going to build an outdoor area for summer too, but he’ll be here at least in winter.

Should I be worried about his shell? I’ve had him at the vet twice, once for a nail trim and once from when he hurt his shell - but when I got him there was already the discoloration (white-ish brown-ish) patches in the middle scutes and it’s also indented in the center?… seen a lot about pyramiding but not the opposite. His growth rings all seem healthy since we’ve had him and have had no other issues sans suicide attempt.

Background: Lil Cody the tortoise has been with us for almost two years, and was ~2 when we got him from the pet store (yes, pet stores = bad). He was in a 40 gal glass tank at first, tried to commit suicide from a bad latching door (got a little cut on his shell), so I built him a new enclosure which is 7x2x1ft or whatever order thats supposed to be in. There’s 2 ceramic night bulbs for heat and the other 2 are daytime/basking bulbs. He is also a she after a vet visit… but he’ll always be my boy lol.
He seems to be allergic to the coconut substrate, his eyes water and he starts sneezing, used it once and quickly changed it.

Attachments

• 2BDF0D08-C6E9-400B-A8DA-2144275F9CBC.jpeg
    2BDF0D08-C6E9-400B-A8DA-2144275F9CBC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 7E51F6D1-894B-423B-B63B-08C4096004A7.jpeg
    7E51F6D1-894B-423B-B63B-08C4096004A7.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • FEB92036-8A83-4F46-B407-E49686F4ACF0.jpeg
    FEB92036-8A83-4F46-B407-E49686F4ACF0.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • 83649E31-8F26-4A49-913B-E8DA3EEBC784.jpeg
    83649E31-8F26-4A49-913B-E8DA3EEBC784.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • 1EB86E1F-7A3C-4099-96DE-0E73813488E8.jpeg
    1EB86E1F-7A3C-4099-96DE-0E73813488E8.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • A34F1988-456D-4936-AD8D-7DCA39B25536.jpeg
    A34F1988-456D-4936-AD8D-7DCA39B25536.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • E61CE3A7-90DE-4BAB-B42B-6D087C804E6F.jpeg
    E61CE3A7-90DE-4BAB-B42B-6D087C804E6F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • 8848BDCF-53F6-4008-8540-C6771DA5E26B.jpeg
    8848BDCF-53F6-4008-8540-C6771DA5E26B.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16

nicoleann2214

NY

Suggestions/tips for his home? Going to build an outdoor area for summer too, but he’ll be here at least in winter.

Should I be worried about his shell? I’ve had him at the vet twice, once for a nail trim and once from when he hurt his shell - but when I got him there was already the discoloration (white-ish brown-ish) patches in the middle scutes and it’s also indented in the center?… seen a lot about pyramiding but not the opposite. His growth rings all seem healthy since we’ve had him and have had no other issues sans suicide attempt.

Background: Lil Cody the tortoise has been with us for almost two years, and was ~2 when we got him from the pet store (yes, pet stores = bad). He was in a 40 gal glass tank at first, tried to commit suicide from a bad latching door (got a little cut on his shell), so I built him a new enclosure which is 7x2x1ft or whatever order thats supposed to be in. There’s 2 ceramic night bulbs for heat and the other 2 are daytime/basking bulbs. He is also a she after a vet visit… but he’ll always be my boy lol.
He seems to be allergic to the coconut substrate, his eyes water and he starts sneezing, used it once and quickly changed it.

Hello! Welcome! The experienced guys and gals will chime in soon. You have a cute little guy there.

Grace-Sophia

Texas

Hello and welcome to the fourm!

your setup looks fantastic I am just curious to know what your humitity is?
For growing Russians it should be around 50-60%

As for substrate I use repti bark for my Russian and he does great in it, it is also highly recommended for them as it holds good humitity, doesn’t mold, is burriowing allowable, and overall checks all the boxes. Yes, it is quite pricey, but in my experience it is well worth it, you can try orchard bark with no pesticides or chemicals, just pure 100% orchard bark. It is the same thing, just they market it for reptiles at a higher price at name brand pet stores when you can really get it at a gardening shop. I still use repti bark however, he is used to it, and it gives me peace of mind.

As for her scutes, she looks like a healthy Russian to me with a little bit of wear and tear, if gotten from PetSmart/Petco it could have possibly been wild caught unfortunately, even as a baby. But there is not much we can do about that now, as long as she’s healthy and happy. My Felix who is 18 years old has the same white marks you mentioned above, so there is nothing to worry about, it’s just the natural wear that comes overtime on their shells.

Great job taking care of her! Props! And a warm welcome to the TFO!!

Sugaratefang13

Reno, NV
Hello and welcome to the fourm!

your setup looks fantastic I am just curious to know what your humitity is?
For growing Russians it should be around 50-60%

As for substrate I use repti bark for my Russian and he does great in it, it is also highly recommended for them as it holds good humitity, doesn’t mold, is burriowing allowable, and overall checks all the boxes. Yes, it is quite pricey, but in my experience it is well worth it, you can try orchard bark with no pesticides or chemicals, just pure 100% orchard bark. It is the same thing, just they market it for reptiles at a higher price at name brand pet stores when you can really get it at a gardening shop. I still use repti bark however, he is used to it, and it gives me peace of mind.

As for her scutes, she looks like a healthy Russian to me with a little bit of wear and tear, if gotten from PetSmart/Petco it could have possibly been wild caught unfortunately, even as a baby. But there is not much we can do about that now, as long as she’s healthy and happy. My Felix who is 18 years old has the same white marks you mentioned above, so there is nothing to worry about, it’s just the natural wear that comes overtime on their shells.

Great job taking care of her! Props! And a warm welcome to the TFO!!
Thanks for the reply/info! Yeah humidity is at 50% right now, lil Cody could definitely use a soak though in some water in the next day though, was thinking that when I went to take the pics :eek:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Your tortoise wasn't allergic to the coir, you just had it too dry. It gets dusty when too dry. Orchid bark is a better substrate, but that needs to be get damp too.

This tortoise was not 2 years old 2 years ago. Its probably around 10-15 years old right now. We can only guess.

You should not need nail trims or vet visits. Most vets know nothing about tortoise care and unfortunately, many of them do harm with "vitamin injections" that are not needed.

Here is the current and correct care info with answers to all your questions. More questions are welcome! :)