Allergic to Timothy hay... Please help.

Paul Gillis

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Interesting. Yes, over the years it has been a battle for the correct knowledge. I hesr everything from "keep it as dry as possible at all times", & "never leave standing water in their pen, & only give water once in a while", to "yes, always keep water in the pen, to give our sulcata the option to drink".. I go somewhere in the middle I suppose. Her nighttime temp never drops below 70, her hiding area during the day is around 80-85, & her basking area is about 97-100. I keep the humidity in her pen somewhere around 40%. & I always keep water for her available to drink in her pen as well.

Paul Gillis

Illinois
Also, I just went to Home Depot to get more fir bark, & the one by my house discontinued it. I'll be searching for more tomorrow it appears. :)

Paul Gillis

Illinois
I'm having a hell of a hard time finding hardwood bark of any type around me. What type of mulch do you recommend?

Rue

Canada
Depends on the wood...

Cedar mulch shouldn't be used for example. Pine is also questionable. Aspen/poplar is safe.

I would also stay away from oak or walnut (but you're less likely to find that).

So you need to know what wood first.

Paul Gillis

Illinois
I did as much research as possible while in the store. I went with cypress mulch. I read many people say they've had luck with that for their Sulcata's...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is wood mulch ok?

Look for coco coir then. I think it is favored as substrate by more members than orchid bark.

5k_coir.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good choice. I also like cypress mulch - second only to orchid bark.

Paul Gillis

Illinois
Glad to hear. I'm so used to the thought that "wet is bad" for a sulcatathat I am slightly worried because Cypress is damp. But I'm going to give it a shot. Here is a picture of her pen.
& here is a picture if her outside enjoying some grass & dandelions... :)
image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Her pen is a bit barren, no? How about a hiding place, some plants (either real or fake), a waterer and a feeding tile. Or did you take the picture just after you added the new substrate and hadn't had time yet to put the 'stuff' back in?

Paul Gillis

Illinois
Yes, I had just put the substrate in. She also has a hiding log, & a water bowl... & a feeding plate regularly.

Paul Gillis

Illinois
Any suggestions as to what type of plants to keep in pen with her? & is it ok to cut a bunch of grass/dandelilns from outside & sprinkle that in her pen?

Rue

Canada
Spider plants are recommended. I haven't tried one yet...but I have source of 'home grown' ones (by that I mean no fresh pesticides were used on it),

If you are feeding her greens you 've collected, I'd feed them on a plate. Easier to keep the enclosure clean that way.

If you don't - you'll run the risk of the greens spoiling, moulds, etc.

I quite like the 'kitty litter box' concept. Grow things in a kitty litter (or other) pan - then rotate out as the tortoise eats it. That's on my list of things to do (first is build a small outdoor baby enclosure to make do with this year and possibly next. For that I've unearthed an old livestock trough from the barn. Need to clean it and make a secure 'roof' for it.

Paul Gillis

Illinois
Spider plants, ok I'll have to check into those then. Yes, I feed her green & red leaf lettuce usually, & with carrots sometimes. Those go on a plate to keep things from getting too messy.

Yes, she has a log that she "hides" under. But the log is getting too small for her & I need something bigger.. Here is her pen with some lilac bush leaves for atmosphere, as well as her water bowl & log... I take her out to soak once to twice a week.. Here she is basking in her pen. With some of the "stuff" back in place...image.jpegimage.jpeg

Paul Gillis

Illinois
I went with the cypress mulch, but now the humidity in her tank went from 40% to 55%. & since it's cypress, everything is damp. Is that not bad for her... I'm a bit worried.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I hesitate to write this next question because it sounds so accusatory. Not the way I mean it at all, but didn't you read the links we gave you? Sulcata tortoises benefit from humidity. We strive for 80% for babies, so the humidity you have is quite ok.

Paul Gillis

Illinois
Yeah, I was just expressing my concern because of the things I've learned over the years. Varying levels of peoples "expertise".. & it makes me worry, that is all. I have read other literature that states the exact opposite, so I was just looking for reassurance..
I figured that would be clear considering I can't be the only one that has read conflicting stories..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The "other literature" you've read is old stuff. What we talk about here has only been learned the past couple of years.

The 'net is a wonderful place for information, and so easy to educate yourself. The problem being, hardly none of the authors of that info go back and update it when new stuff is learned. And it is so new that quite a few keepers haven't taken it to heart yet.